About a week ago I noticed my 11-month old yellow lab Lucy scratching and biting at herself. Thinking it may be fleas, I gave her a bath and that night noticed red bumps all over her. I thought she had gotten into an ant bed or gotten bit by something she was allergic to. The next morning she had huge red whelps all over her skin. I gave her Benadryl most of the day and kept noticing new whelps coming up, this is when I started to realize that it wasn't bites. The whelps/hives lasted about 3 days. She got some jerky chicken tender treats for xmas and I started noticing that everytime I gave her 1 or 2 of those, she would swell up more about an hour after she ate them. I think she may be allergic to chicken. The same thing happened on xmas day when she was at my parents house but I thought she may have been allergic to pecans, I know she ate some off the ground in their pecan orchard. But after this past episode I'm wandering if it's not the chicken treats (my dad was also feeding her chicken from the table on xmas), and she never eats chicken with me. Is it possible she could develop an allergy to chicken this spontaneously? Both times she got hives she had dirrhea but only once. I think she's had one of those chicken treats before when she was at their house but this never happened. Maybe she just ate enough this time that made her swell up? I don't know, but I have done some research online and looked in the Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook and it seems to be a food allergy. The past 2-3 days the swelling is gone but I do notice her itching some. I looked at the ingredients on her foodbag and the first ingredient is chicken. She eats Natural Balance Ultra Premium in the blue bag. It's just so weird b/c I've never noticed this before now. I didn't take her to the vet this past week b/c I can't take off of work, and I knew it was an allergic reaction to something and they would tell me just to give her Benadryl until it got better. Does anyone have any advice or has anyone ever had this happen to their lab?