Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every month I dread putting Frontline Plus on my girl Breezy. I hate knowing I'm putting chemicals on her. But I also don't want her suffering with fleas and/or ticks. Does anyone know of an alternative to chemical-based products for our dogs? I did a search on Google and found a product called Sentry Natural Defense, which is made up of essential oils.
Just wondering if anyone here has any info or advice on another, healthier way I could keep Breezy safe from fleas and ticks without having to use toxic chemicals.
Any help is appreciated!
~Catherine

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would not use that stuff. We had a supplier give use samples to try with our client. It is very very strong smelling. It drove that dog nuts that we put it on. Then our tech applied some to a plant that had some bug on it. Let just say the pant had to live outside for 3 day b/c it was so strong and everyone was coughing. Do a web seach on it you will find the same reports.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I don't use any flea/tick prevention and haven't for the last couple of years with a lot of success. ;)

I use a natural bug repellent when we go out, the same one listed on this site under "products" www.animalwellness.ca and check daily for any sign of fleas/ticks.

I have been told by fellow raw feeders that raw fed dogs don't attract bugs like kibble fed dogs do, but I don't think I buy that. In case it is true though, thought I'd mention it. :)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Mine don't attract any bugs except the biting gnats. Knock wood, I haven't had a flea in 20 years and yes mine are all kibble fed.

The horses are "raw" feeders and yet they attract all sorts of biting insects. ;)

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Jes has been raw fed and kibble fed, and remained flea-free. I'm not sure I buy that either. I can see where overall health may play a role.

Location probably has something to do with. I think you'll have more success with some of the natural stuff the farther north you go as opposed to the hot and humid climates of the American Deep South where ticks, fleas, and mosquitoes outnumber humans 100:1.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My brother and SIL's lab is raw fed and they never had any flea and tick problems when they lived "up Nawth" - moving down to SC, it was a different story! He tried the Springtime garlic product for 2 months, but about a thousand ticks later has concluded it doesn't work for his dog in his location.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts