Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The state today dropped all charges against three Duke University lacrosse players.
Those poor boys and their families and what they have been through. This should never have happened. I hope the DA pays for this. He was just enjoying the lime light and didn't care that he didn't have a case. The little $*%& got in over his head. I'm so glad the charges were finally dropped and these young men can get on with their life.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
This whole case was appalling. No DNA, changing stories, one guy had an airtight alibi and nobody in the DA's office cared.

It certainly goes to show you how easily the system can be manipulated.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
No DNA, changing stories, one guy had an airtight alibi and nobody in the DA's office cared.
Don't forget withheld evidence clearing the players, her co-witness denying it ever happened, DNA of numerous other men found on her clothing/undergarments, a baby born 9 months after the "incident" from relations with someone other than the players...

Horrible what these young men and their families were put through.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Where's Al Sharpton?? Doesn't he have something to say about this as well?? What?? Only Imus is an idjit?

From the very beginning, this case was full of holes. I think the media should show these young men's faces EVERYWHERE, publicly acknowledging their innocence so that maybe, just maybe, they can move on with productive lives. Due to the nature of the accusations, the year long hell that they've been put through, statistics for their becomming productive citizens are not high. Their lives have been scarred.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I think it's about time. However, I think one of the worst things about this case was that it was "tried" in the media before investigation even started and anyone could get to the truth. The drive for ratings led to a he said-she said, prosecution claims-defense claims scenario on a daily basis with reporters getting to witnesses before they could be interviewed. No one was well-served by this scenario.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Don't everybody jump on me, but rape cases are rarely airtight. The real world is not CSI.

I've worked for both the public defender's system and the prosecutor's office, and because of the emotional and physical shame that goes with reporting a rape (ever seen a Johnson rape kit?), most rape victims don't report until days or weeks later. DNA is long gone. Clothes have been washed. When intoxicants are involved, you get 3-5 versions of a story. It's not that the victim is necessarily making up the story, the victim is trying to bury the shame of what happened to her.

However, the DA had an ethical duty to drop the charges once it became apparent that there was not a rape.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
they should be able to sue that woman for defamation of character. those boys will have to live with this stigma for the rest of their lives and like someone metioned above, the pain and humiliation they and their families went through for over a year. one boy said that he now knows what the justice system is like and he feels sorry for the people who don't have the money to defend themselves like they did. it's just sad all around.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I see a co-lawsuit coming about from the families. They should sue for their legal costs. Don't know who they would sue, but then again anyone can be sued for anything these days if you have a good case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts