Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, the pork chop woke me up with a dry, non-productive hacking cough....
I thought ok...incubation period for kennel cough is 8-10 days...where was he 8-10 days ago? at the Potomac Dog show :-\
Bingo...it's kennel cough.

Is it ok to up his Vitamin C a bit? I know there is no treatment for it other than letting it run its course. How long will he be infectious?
I hope he is ok by April 28 for his debut in the ring ;D How long will he be able to pass this on to other dogs? Do you think he'll be ok by the 28th? If not, I will not take him. I dont want to expose anyone else's dog.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Aww, sorry to hear it Susan. They say normally it sticks around for 2 weeks. I'm not sure if that's from when they start coughing, or from the incubation period though. You can give him Robitussin if it gets really bad. Poor baby. I felt so bad for Frankie when he had it.

So, spill it. Where is his ring debut and who will be showing him? :D

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have no experience with KC *knocks on wood* but I just wanted to say that I hope the lil pork chop feels better and good enough to do his first show! :)

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Everyone told me not to take Mocha out for 2 weeks when I thought she had it a while back. Sorry the little porkchop has it hopefully it doesn't get to bad. Mocha had been vacinated so I think that helped hers it wasn't bad at all.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The end if the month at the Total Dog event in Mechanisburg, PA. He is entered 4 times....2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.
My DH and I are splitting up the handling duties. :-\ Unless the person who goes first wins or something, then they inherit the job permanently lol
I'm a nervous wreck but i've told myself, this entire weekend is a learning experience and I am not expecting anything...just to survive and get through it without- falling, making a fool out of myself or any other embarrassing events. ::)
I know he will do fine. When we're in class he is a total ham. He knows when everyone is looking at him and hams it up. Plus Aidan will do ANYTHING for liver treats...and I mean anything. :D

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I'm not surprised. I thought I heard a few dogs hacking last week. At least its not the crud.....yet.

He can pass it as long as he is coughing.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok Labby thanks...so if he has stopped coughing before the 28th, we are good to go.
The weather here hasnt helped the situation..damp and rainy and he has been swimming ::)
DH says that has nothing to do with it...weather and temps dont give you Kennel cough..which i agree, but i think it does provide the perfect breeding environment for those germs to flourish in.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
We reccommend at least two weeks with no outside contact, that is the standard vet protocol from what I've heard.

Hope he's over it quickly!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Elias just had it 2 weeks ago. I took him to the vet and he was prescriped 2 medications. One was a steroid that made him drink and pee A LOT and the other was an antibiotic. The coughing lasted about 7-9 days, it ended about a day after he was completely done with the meds.
Based on Elias' timetable if you got him to the vet today he could be done coughing by the 28th.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sam... the vet said that since he has no fever, is eating well, acting normally other than the cough, he doesn't want to give anti biotics.
We are being cautious to keep Aidan away from our senior dog, Shadow, who is almost 15. I do not want him to come down with it. And Aidan has his own drinking bowl now, that only he is using. Trying to minimize the exposure to Emma...although those 2 are inseperable and slept together last night. :-\

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Hmmm, Elias had no other symptoms than the cough too. Anyway, I hope Aidan gets better and you can show him. I hope the other dogs stay healthy too!

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Rookie and Bono had a touch of it for a couple of days last week. I gave them children's robotussin and they seemed to get over it fast.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Kisses to porkchop.....hope you get better soon pal....

Good luck on the 28th! I'm sure you will all be great...

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Susan, Mugs got KC about a month ago and I started giving him some
Robitussin (I had to soak it in some bread) But I felt so bad for him
after a couple of days with him coughing I take him to the vet and they give me some
Clavamox 2xdays for I think it was 10 days he started to feel alot
better after a about a week with the meds.

I hope the pork chop is better by april 28th.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I've never heard the two weeks thing, at daycare we always told people that the dog could come back to play a week after the last cough. I hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I heard no coughing to make me suspect at Potomac last week and no signs of it so far that I know of with the crew I went with.

You can suppliment with Vit C as often as your dog can tolerate it. 500 mg Vitamin C 3x/day above reg dosage. Watch for signs of OD.
You can also give Echinacea and Goldenseal.

For cough you can give honey or Robitussin.

It can take 10 days to 3 weeks to run its course.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I heard coughing coming from 2 different groups of dogs last week- 1 group wasn't shown because of it, but the dogs were still on the grounds. Some of the dogs in the other group were being shown. Nothing yet from Monty, in spite of the stresses associated with flying and living with a female in season for the week. ;) (knock on wood)

Hope Aidan is feeling better soon! Poor guy...that gagging cough always makes me feel so badly for them! :(

1 - 20 of 36 Posts