Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that Flick sleeps through the night, and the usually go to bed around 10 or 11 pm, but to listen for him whining...not so hard when the crate is right in the bedroom. Great! I didn't go to bed until almost midnight, took him outside where he peed and pooped. It was just about midnight when I put Flick in his crate. Around 5:15 this morning he was whining. I figured he heard the kids next door banging around getting ready for school, but I got up and took him outside anyway...he peed. Fast forward to just before 7am I hear him whining again. That's fine I'm usually up around then anyway to feed my girls breakfast and Elise says the boys eat between 7am-8am. No harm no foul, right? Ohhhhh no. I go to get Flick from his crate and there is pee and poop EVERYWHERE!!! Luckily not much got on him aside from his paws, but the crate, his blanket, parts of the WHITE carpet....ohhhh my gosh!!! It wasn't even explosive diarrhea or anything just normal poop smeared all over the front of the crate and onto the carpet, not the way I wanted to wake up after barely sleeping last night anyway!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
He's probably stressed, Stace, which will make that worse. He's a baby, his "parents" are gone and this strange girl is sleeping in his house. :)

Deeeeeeeep breath!

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*takes a deep breath*
I know, I know, but he is still making me crazy!! The weather here today is amazing (it's 45 and sunny right now) I texted Elise to see if Flick has a collar/harness and a leash and her reply back was "oh no, not yet" well that ruined my plan...I was going to take them each for a walk to tire them out some since Flick doesn't seem to want to play in the yard.

Haha if I send him away I think I might lose my job and not just as the babysitter and dogsitter!! lol

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Sounds like you need to start at square one with this little guy just like you would with your own puppy. Poor little bugger. And poor you! If I were you I wouldn't have any expectations for Flick and just start from scratch.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you need to start at square one with this little guy just like you would with your own puppy. Poor little bugger. And poor you! If I were you I wouldn't have any expectations for Flick and just start from scratch.
He has the foundations, but nobody in the house except for Elise builds on them. I can't blame him for not sleeping through the night, like Amy said he's probably confused, but I'm hoping since I will be here until Tuesday that he will settle down some.

I started from ground zero with the potty in the house thing. After yesterday morning he didn't have any accidents in the house. I took him outside after he and Ratchet rough housed or after he had been laying down or even after he drank a whole lot. I gave him a treat each time and praised him. I'm teaching him how to sit too since he doesn't understand that! I figure it's an easy enough concept for a puppy to grasp plus it's fun.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
What? No collar and leash yet? Can you go out and buy one? She can reimburse you later. :)

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They don't wear collars in the house,I'm pretty sure Ratchet doesn't even have one. He has his harness with tags on it, but Flick doesn't even have that. I texted her again to let her know why I asked, plus to see if he has had all his shots yet (I'm not sure that he has) and I haven't heard back yet. Hopefully she gets it since her service has been pretty bad while they have been there. If not I'm going to find a really fun toy that he will hopefully chase in the backyard until he gets tired!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts