Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does my vaccum cleaner have to blow up RIGHT when shedding season starts? Our really nice vaccum just went "ka-put" so now we are using this crappy $20 vac from Walmart. Apollo shed ALL OVER the carpet, and we are getting ready to move so that all had to come up. I was kneeling on my hands and knees with the hose in hand sucking up the black fur off the carpet. It took me 2 HOURS to get all the fur off the living room carpet. Finally I got the whole apartment done. Apollo and I start playing and what happens? Fur EVERYWHERE! Ah!!!!!! Kinda makes me wish Apollo was a YELLOW lab. then maybe the fur on the carpet wouldn't be as noticable.

*Oh! and finally one of the ferrets has begun to shed, Samson. So now I have black (apollo) and white (samson) fur everywhere. LOL, gotta love shedding season!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is that? Is it a brush? I already have a zoom groom (which i LOVE) but it seems that brushing is futile at this point lol.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Try a shedding blade, (pictured below) you should be able to get them from any pet store, all my friends with labs and shepherds and collies swear by them in this season! ;D

Might not work with the ferret though, I think it's a little large for him!

But yah, just take him outside a few times a day and give him a good "going-over" with the blade and the situation should get a little better! ;)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha I have to "pluck" the ferrets. When they shed I hold them by the scruff of their neck and hang them over a trash can outside, then with my spare hand I "pluck" the loose fur out of their undercoat lol, my neighbors think I'm nuts they're like "oh boy there goes our neighbor, plucking those ferrets again! lol!"

I will definitly look into the shedding blade thingy you mentioned. Anything helps right now. LOL I just wish my vaccuum hadn't blow up!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I have to do the same thing with the bunnies, only they don't have much of a scruff, so I have to pin them between my legs and do it that way! :)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Get a Dyson Animal !!!!!!!!!

I know they are expensive, but I swear by it!
NEVER loses suction, and I have two labs one
black one yellow. Check on E-bay too, good
prices !

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
This is a furminator (similar to a shedding blade in how it works)

and this is a dyson ($500 vacuum, apparently awesome and worth every penny!)

hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used a product that looked exactly like the furminator and it didn't do squat (except piss me off lol). Are you sure that thing works?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I know my friends swear by the shedding blade, I've never heard anything about the furminator. I've seen a demonstration of it though, and I think you have to press pretty hard otherwise it doesn't work. (and I think it might be for slightly longer haired dogs like shepherds, goldens, etc.)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't remember what it was called, but it was one of those tools but from an infomercial. The blade was only like 1 inch though but it didn't do a thing. Kinda makes me wary of other products that look similar to the one I tried.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I feel your pain...

Emma is completely bald..not sure if was her time to blow coat or if her recent spay surgery moved things along...
Aidan has not even started yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts