Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that the cats have eaten easter lily. When sam told me that his dad (who is watching the cats) said that the cats had eaten the lily I froze for a second. I dont know how I remembered, but something was telling me that easter lily was toxic to animals. So I jumped online and found out that YES easter lilys are in fact toxic to animals, but only to cats. I called the EVet and they said to moniter the cats for the next 24 hours cuz they only ate a little bit of it. I am worried because it said that lily can cause kidney failure and death in as little as 36 hours. I am going over to Sam's father's house tommorow to check out the cats. I am not mad at his dad because he didn't know. I am just worried about the cats. I hope they will be alright :-\ If they have diarehha, vomitting, drooling, lethargy, lack of appetite, etc then we have to take them to the Evet ASAP. Geez I'm only in St. Louis 1 day and stuff is already going crazy. Ugh!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I certainly hope not. :( The vet said it doesn't sound like they ate enough to get kidney failure or poisoning. I hope he is right. I am lucky I remembered that lily's are toxic. I am gunna go review my list of unexpected toxic items to dogs, cats, and ferrets. I wanna make sure that I am on top of this so that if they ever ingest something else I will know if its toxic or not.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are actually staying with Sam's father. Apparently they clawed through the box spring and all three of them are sleeping in it! Ahh!! and they are clawing up his furniture, so we put some double sided sticky tape on the couches and they stopped. I am going over there with Sam tommorow to check the house over for possible dangers.

I really appreciate his father watching them for us. He has a heart condition and can't drive anymore, he's also on oxygen. He's really enjoying having the cats there, so after Sam gets his apartment and the cats move out of Sam's dad's house we are going to ask Sam's father if he would like to participate in "seniors for seniors" a program that pairs senior pets with senior citizens, free of charge. That way, senior citizens can have an older pet and not have to worry about what will happen to their pet after they (the senior citizens) pass away. It gives older animals a second chance at life, and it gives the senior citizens a friend for life and a way to lower blood pressure. So we are going to ask Sam's dad if he would like to participate and get a cat from the program. I'm sure both parties would benefit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts