Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we bought the noisiest 200 crickets ever this weekend. They won't shut up... It's a shame they're one of the few good things for Dexter to eat. :(

This is all I've been hearing since Saturday morning (click the green dot).

http://instantcrickets.com/

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
They're screaming "Save me! Save me! Save me!" :(

Can't you convince him to eat grass or something? :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
That sound would make me nuts. It would also make my skin crawl, thinking they were loose and in the house!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're screaming "Save me! Save me! Save me!" :(

Can't you convince him to eat grass or something? :)
haha...I wish. :) We've tried offering him kale, apple pieces, etc.. to add variety to his diet, but he's not the least bit interested. It won't be so bad this spring because we can switch over to primarly silkworms - they're quiet, stay wrapped up in a ball together around their mulberry mush, and Dex loves them too. No one will ship them right now because they're sensitive to temperatures.

Our choices right now for healthy feeders are gut-loaded, dusted crickets or dubia cockroaches with supplements of superworms and waxworms. I'm not having roaches in my house even if they are contained and supposedly non-infesting (I know they exist but I can't get over the fact they're roaches, lol)...the crickets are bad enough. :eek:

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I used to work in a pet store and counting crickets was the WORST part of the job.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Oh yes. You reach in the tank, grab a handful and count the buggers as they fall into the bag. I used to hate the people who wanted anything more than 25. :p

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yes. You reach in the tank, grab a handful and count the buggers as they fall into the bag. I used to hate the people who wanted anything more than 25. :p
Eek - I couldn't imagine counting them! Our pet store has a tube with a filter type scoop. They have markings on the tube that say "25, 50, 75, 100" and that's approximately the number of crickets. They have one for the pinhead crickets and another for the larger ones. As long as it's somewhat close to the number we want, I don't really care if there's 93 in there or 100... lol

25 crickets would only last us 5 days, and the pet store is over a hour away so that's why we always get so many. That way we only have to go once a month or so...I'd feel bad if they actually had to count them out one by one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts