Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around here, after graduation everyone heads down to the beach (Ocean City, MD) for beach week/senior week. When I was little and we were at our beach place it was always "so cool" watching the "big kids" be on their own at the beach.

My beach week was amazing, even though our group of friends abandoned us my best friend and myself stuck it out together and had a blast!! This year I have some younger friends who are graduating in a few weeks and they're going to Ocean City for their senior week...since I'll be working down there I told them they could come to my place one night and I would cook some burgers/hot dogs for them and then we could all go have some fun :D I'm ready!!!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
The New Jersey shore, once upon a time, was a common destination for Senior Week (including the year I graduated -- we ended up getting tossed out of the house we were staying in, through no fault of our own, long story). Now, High School seniors are going on cruises or to Cancun!!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Nope. No such ritual. Maybe because we weren't very close to any cool beaches??

It sounds fun though. :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Maybe because we weren't very close to any cool beaches??
Do you even have beaches in Canada? I mean besides the coasts obviously.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
I, apparently, was deprived - went nowhere, did nothing.

Granted, I live in the middle of Indiana so it's not like I could just run over to the beach, but there was definitely no cruise given.

My big gifts came from my college graduation. I remember high school being fairly anticlimatic.

G

·
Yup but we called it Senior Week...........Not to proud to say that I barely remember my senior week. I think I had one too many wine coolers.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I don't recall the tradition of senior week. Our HS graduations are usually the last weekend of June and I'm sure I would have noticed.

We did have a Senior Skip day held about one day a week before finals. Everyone would head to the the lake for the day. This was against school policy and those who went were counted as un excused absences. The legal drinking age at the time was 18 so things were a little different for most seniors than they are today.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
No such thing as beach week, or senior week, or whatever you want to call a week long party. We had a grad. ceremony and party and that was it. For some of us, it was off to summer jobs in the orchards or resorts to save money for university. For others, it was right into work at one of the local industries.

And to answer the earlier question, yes we do have beaches in Canada. Some pretty beautiful ones too. Where I grew up, in the Okanagan, there are many great beaches. My favourites were the secluded, hard to get to ones. My partner of the time and I used to go mountain biking, hiking or canoeing in search of our own little private beaches.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jakeysmom said:
Yup but we called it Senior Week...........Not to proud to say that I barely remember my senior week. I think I had one too many wine coolers.
haha :p

we called it senior week too...not sure why i typed beach week in the title, but a lot of people do call it that

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
kaisdad said:
No such thing as beach week, or senior week, or whatever you want to call a week long party. We had a grad. ceremony and party and that was it. For some of us, it was off to summer jobs in the orchards or resorts to save money for university. For others, it was right into work at one of the local industries.
Most of the graduating seniors in my HS were working part time during school and fulltime right after. I came from a poorer neighborhood and that's how thing were. We didn't have a lot of wealthy friends so no one seemed to care. A whole week at he beach was a whole paycheck!

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
labs4life said:
kaisdad said:
Most of the graduating seniors in my HS were working part time during school and fulltime right after. I came from a poorer neighborhood and that's how thing were. We didn't have a lot of wealthy friends so no one seemed to care. A whole week at he beach was a whole paycheck!
I grew up in a decent neighborhood, but we had a pretty strong work ethic. We didn't feel that there was much point in wasting time laying around. After all, university wasn't going to pay for itself!

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
The BIG thing here is Senior Week....and my son isn't allowed to participate!! HA!! I know....meanie.

He is welcome to have his friends at our shore house with US there to supervise.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Hey!

We have over 330 lakes within the city i live in.. the most in Canada.. we have TONS of beaches :p

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WeHeartLabs said:
The BIG thing here is Senior Week....and my son isn't allowed to participate!! HA!! I know....meanie.

He is welcome to have his friends at our shore house with US there to supervise.
glad i'm not the only one :p

My parents came down for part of my senior week too...after all i was staying at our place lol

G

·
dweck said:
The New Jersey shore, once upon a time, was a common destination for Senior Week (including the year I graduated -- we ended up getting tossed out of the house we were staying in, through no fault of our own, long story). Now, High School seniors are going on cruises or to Cancun!!
I live in Jersey. The kids here still go to the shore. Lost weekend in Wildwood. (Seaaside having become just a little too scary) And it is post Prom, not graduation.

When I graduated, we partied then sobered up and went to work. A little anti-climactic.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Yup, we did a week at the beach........long, long ago.

We had 4 cottages on the same street - (what idiot would rent to a bunch of lunatics?)

It was five of us in our cottage. My best friends parents put their name on the lease. It was one of the best times of my life!

I came home with this really punky haircut and my ears pierced all the way up my ear! :eek:

Ahhh, good times.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yep, we had GRAD week down in the OBX (Outer Banks) in NC. That whole week was a hazy one! :D We had about 10 people in one cottage and we were a block away from the beach. One of the girls staying there had her mom "chaperone" us ;)

Posted by: labs4life
We did have a Senior Skip day..This was against school policy and those who went were counted as un excused absences
We did too. As long as you went to First Period/Homeroom we were fine. It was just hard to try to get out of school without getting caught ;) And we headed to Virginia Beach ;D

Oh, fun times!!! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts