Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want one? :p

I'm kidding, of course (mostly). My MIL's Yorkie is here while my MIL recuperation from hip replacement surgery. He is bad tempered, bratty, and untrained. He thinks he is alpha. He torments JAT and thinks he is in charge of me and DH.

He stayed here once before, when MIL had back surgery last summer. So far he seems a bit better this time, but I don't know how those of you with many dogs, especially dogs of differing sizes, manage.

He and Jacob have been posturing all morning. The biggest issue is that, at his house, Toby is Alpha (it is just him and MIL). Here, however, I am alpha. JAT have never had any discussions about alpha, because non of them are. Now, Toby is trying to dominate everyone!

I don't have any pics yet of this visit, but here are some from last summer.

Toby
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
Awwww...he's such a cute little terrorist. ;D

How long will he be staying? What is the other dogs reaction to him?

Your dogs may be tolerant of their new house guests antics for a little while but at some point they are going to have enough and put him in his place and it won't be pretty. Since he isn't going to be a permanent guest, I'd seperate them when your dogs are getting to the end of their patience. If he was staying, they would need to work it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,586 Posts
:D

I didn't take that seriously for a moment. I couldn't wait to click to see what the joke was. :D

Oh, the terrors! They are a lot of dominance per pound, aren't they? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,915 Posts
when we were filling out our adoption appliation for penny, the shelter volunteers kept telling us that penny is dominate and an alpha type, so the labs should be submissive types, etc.

well from our initial interactions with penny and observing her with the other shelter dogs as well as luke and taylor, we thought the volunteers were nuts. besides, luke and taylor are really good with doggie social interactions, and they are so laid back, i didn't worry a bit.

then, penny came home with luke and taylor and after only a couple of hours, penny tried to bully the big dogs. we thought, oh-oh. luke and taylor let penny have her way for the first few days, but then all 3 dogs got used to each other, and the table started to turn. i also tried to encourage positive group interaction by doing simple things like sitting nicely as a group and waiting to get food deposited in their mouths.

deep down, penny is a happy go lucky, don't want no trouble kinda a terrier. she does grumble and complain from time to time, but it's all talk, and now luke and taylor know penny's bluff. all three get along really great. also, terriers are not known to be good with same sex dogs, but penny and taylor are BEST friends. they play pretty much ALL the time, and lay next to each other when they are relaxing.

toby sure is a cutie pie!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,645 Posts
Toby is so cute! I've never seen Prudence (dachshund mix) in an alpha role until role until she was in a group of dogs. I was really shocked. When I'm at my sister's and her dog and Brigetta are running around or barking at each other, Prudence will get right in there are try and split them up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rottnlabs said:
Awwww...he's such a cute little terrorist. ;D

How long will he be staying? What is the other dogs reaction to him?

Your dogs may be tolerant of their new house guests antics for a little while but at some point they are going to have enough and put him in his place and it won't be pretty. Since he isn't going to be a permanent guest, I'd seperate them when your dogs are getting to the end of their patience. If he was staying, they would need to work it out.
I have no idea how long he will be here. My MIL had her hip replacement surgery today. She will be in the hostipal until they let her out, unless she escapes. Then she will probably have in patient rehab, I imagine.

I agree with what you have writen. Toby is never left alone with JAT. They do not like him. He refuses to fit into their social structure.

I run this family as kind of socialist/communist set up, I think (don't put too much thought into these terms: I use them loosely). No one goes out until everyone sits. No one eats until everyone is in their place. No one come in until everyone is ready. I spend time alone with each of them, but when it comes to group activities, all must behave and participate.
Anyway, I digress. Toby is not of this mindset. My dogs do not quarrel with each other, nor do they fight for the best place to lie down or the best toy. I have always been hands off and let them work it out, and they almost always yield to eachother. The issue now is that none of them seem to know how to assert themselves. They are used to being expected to yield to the group, so when Toby gets posessive and agressive, JAT really don't stand up for themselves. It is frusterating to see a 3 lb Yorkie boss around 210 lbs worth of labrador.

There really isn't a point to this post, and I know I am rambling...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
luke from georgia said:
i also tried to encourage positive group interaction by doing simple things like sitting nicely as a group and waiting to get food deposited in their mouths.
This is a good point. It is very frustrating, because I will have all three labs sitting, but Toby won't sit. So, I bend down to sit Toby, and Tatum gets freaked out and runs off, because things are not progressing exactly how she expects it. So, I get Tatum back and in a sit. By then, Jacob has run off to find good smells. Aly, my reliable one, will still have her butt planted (good dog!). I call Jacob back and after a brief distraction courtesy of Toby, sits down. Then I have to bend down to sit Toby. Then Tatum freaks out. And so on. Aly, bless her heart, sits non plus through the whole thing, patiently waiting for her treat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,693 Posts
I know it sounds extreme, but how's about smearing him with mashed bananna, throwing him into the middle of the back yard and telling JAT "gentle" until he's clean - that might work! (good luck!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BoatDog said:
I know it sounds extreme, but how's about smearing him with mashed bananna, throwing him into the middle of the back yard and telling JAT "gentle" until he's clean - that might work! (good luck!)
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA **snort**
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,129 Posts
Momma to J and A said:
This is a good point. It is very frustrating, because I will have all three labs sitting, but Toby won't sit. So, I bend down to sit Toby, and Tatum gets freaked out and runs off, because things are not progressing exactly how she expects it. So, I get Tatum back and in a sit. By then, Jacob has run off to find good smells.
I'm sorry for laughing, but I can picture this PERFECTLY. :D

No advice, just commiseration. Since Toby isn't your dog, it's hardly worth training him intensively in the way you would if he was, so he can get used to the rules. At the same time, you don't want his presence to cause Tatum to backslide. It does sound like you're doing the right things.

What motivates him?

I know it sounds extreme, but how's about smearing him with mashed bananna, throwing him into the middle of the back yard and telling JAT "gentle" until he's clean - that might work! (good luck!)
OMG, I think I just wet myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,420 Posts
I think out of all the dogs I have had, my terrier has been the one most concerned with her social status. I think they misnamed them and it should be Terror instead of Terrier. But what a sweet face, looks can be deceiving. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,129 Posts
Can you teach him to tug with the others? I'm imagining Aly whipping him around at the end of a rope. I think that would be satisfying for all involved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
theoconbrio said:
Can you teach him to tug with the others? I'm imagining Aly whipping him around at the end of a rope. I think that would be satisfying for all involved.
HAHA **choke* *snort** HAHA. The visual is priceless.

His mouth doesn't really open wide enough to be able to hold anything that ALy would consider play-worthy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,915 Posts
theoconbrio said:
Since Toby isn't your dog, it's hardly worth training him intensively in the way you would if he was, so he can get used to the rules. At the same time, you don't want his presence to cause Tatum to backslide. It does sound like you're doing the right things.
this is my thinking, too.
i'd go with the ignore tactic with the terriorist guest.

penny didn't know sit on cue at first, but she learned, and now she sits, lays down, and stays in place right beside the big dogs. :)

BoatDog said:
I know it sounds extreme, but how's about smearing him with mashed bananna, throwing him into the middle of the back yard and telling JAT "gentle" until he's clean - that might work! (good luck!)
if you do this, please take pictures and share with the group! ;D
 
G

·
OMG the visuals in this thread are making me laugh.

Seriously I hope you find a workable solution - I feel for you. My grandmother had a terror...I mean a terrier and I shudder to think of what that little one would be like in a group of big dogs. She was a mischief making little beast. Cute, but a beast.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top