How far is that from you, Bob?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh wow, that's pretty far.

B

·
0 Posts
I was just reading a story in the KC paper about a storm chaser who was there, he saw the thing when it started. It was a "normal" tornado and in between two lightening strikes it became the wedge shaped monster that did all that damage. He and the guy that was with him pulled into town and helped in the aftermath.

He didn't talk much about what he saw other than a few really cool miracles, like a lady who was walking down the street holding a dog after it was all over...she and 20 other people holed up in a walk in freezer. It was mangled but everyone lived. She'd been driving through, hauling horses. Her truck was gone but all the horses lived. Crazy stuff like that. Amazing.

Soooo sad. I just can't imagine this. :'(

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
It's amazing how destructive nature can be. Looking at those pictures, it's a miracle no more people died. :(

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
How awful........in a blink of an eye.......those peoples lifes changed.
So glad you are safe..........when I heard it on the news, I thought OMG, Bob lives out that way..........then I recalled from your posts that you were in Topeka........but not that far away at all.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
From what I hear, they got a 20 minute warning, thanks to spotters and Doppler. I am the first to make jokes about metoroligists when i shovel 8 inches of "flurries" or get rained on when they said it would be clear and sunny. All joking aside we out here in Tornado Alley owe them and the chaser, the spotters and others like them a debt of graditude for what they have been able to do. When I was a kid, if the sirens sounded, it was already one the ground and most likely killing someone, the modern 20-30 minutes that they give folks most times has saved countless lives. My hat is off to these folks.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
delmonico said:
From what I hear, they got a 20 minute warning, thanks to spotters and Doppler. I am the first to make jokes about metoroligists when i shovel 8 inches of "flurries" or get rained on when they said it would be clear and sunny. All joking aside we out here in Tornado Alley owe them and the chaser, the spotters and others like them a debt of graditude for what they have been able to do. When I was a kid, if the sirens sounded, it was already one the ground and most likely killing someone, the modern 20-30 minutes that they give folks most times has saved countless lives. My hat is off to these folks.
I've always felt the same way. That's why I decided to choose it as a career path (well, before mommyhood took over but maybe sometime in the future :) ). Although it's not perfect, I'm glad the technology is there to warn people of situations like this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts