Just Labradors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a rough day for Bailey (and me). She was perfectly fine last night was playing being her normal self. We went to bed and I was woken up to intense whining and being half asleep I just told her to go back to bed. Then after a half hour I took her out and she peed (this was unusual for her to have to go out in the middle of the night, she hasn't done this in months) and we went back to bed. An hour later I was woken up to her having diarrhea in my bedroom on the carpet. Again...she has not gone to the bathroom in the house in months. So I cleaned this up as best I could then went back to bed. Two hours later woken up to diarrhea again! And boy was this smelly! I was very concerned about this, but by this point we just stayed up and I got ready for work and what not. She was acting like her normal self. I fed her and she ate perfectly fine. We went outside...diarrhea again! Then about 5 minutes before I leave for work....she vomited on the living room carpet. Now I am very very nervous that something is wrong. But I have to go to work as I am a teacher and cannot call out at 7am. So I am late to work by the time I cleaned up the vomit and tried to clean the rug. I felt horrible leaving her home by herself. I call the vet and they say they want to see Bailey that in a short amount of time that is a lot to happen. So then I take a half day and take Bailey to the vet.

I get home at noon and there was nothing in her crate...completely clean and dry. I felt a little better, but off to the vet we went. The vet said she was still active as she was acting like herself, no pain when touching her, no temperature, and everything sounded normal when she listened to Bailey. So she gave me meds and some special dog food. Bailey had not had a bowel movement from around 7am till 3pm. Then I had to run out real quick and came home to more diarrhea in her crate. I let her out of her crate to clean it up. Then I run upstairs for something, she follows me enthusiastically and then again more diarrhea in my bedroom. I gave her the meds and food...she ate the food and was looking for more. Took her outside more diarrhea.

So, right now I don't know what to do with her to make her most comfortable. I have her in her crate and moved her crate in the living room so she is with me. She whined for a couple minutes, but is fine now. Basically I don't want her to go all over the house. I feel so bad leaving her in there! My bedroom smells horrible and I am going to have to get the carpet cleaned once this all clears up. She has been diarrhea free since 5:30

I am just hoping she is ok and it's nothing serious. My vet said if it doesn't clear up in 2-3 days we will have to do bloodwork and/or x-rays. Anyone have any advice or thoughts to share?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I would hold off on all her food for a day, let her tummy rest. Then start her on some boiled rice and chicken, just a little bit, see if she keeps it down and doesn't have the poops, then go from there.

I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I would hold off on all her food for a day, let her tummy rest. Then start her on some boiled rice and chicken, just a little bit, see if she keeps it down and doesn't have the poops, then go from there.

I hope she feels better soon.
This is what we do when Erns gut is upset.

Good thoughts she is better very soon.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vet gave me I.D. food for Bailey and told me to give her half a can. I'm wondering if it would be better to hold off on food for 24 hours like mentioned above. I am just following the vets recommendations, but am thinking no food for 24 hours might be best, but at the same time I am no professional.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Definitely rest her gut for 24 hours, then do the boiled chicken or hamburger and rice. Make sure you drain the meat well before mixing with the rice, to get rid of as much fat/grease as possible. Then start her on very small amounts, like 1/4 cup.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
what are the meds you were given?

You can also give her kaopectite for the squirts - they think it'a a treat and it's perfectly safe for them. Boiled rice after tummy rest and then boiled chicken or hamburger.

Sorry you're going through this. The projectile poops are the worst, but most of us have been through this at least if not more than once. And often without a clear diagnosis before it clears. Hang in there. and get a rug steamer.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Then I wouldn't add kaopectate, but definitely give her the meds.

But plain rice - after a tummy rest of nothing for 12 - 24 hours - might still be better than whatever Rx food you were given.

Good luck, and good thoughts headed your way.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Many of us have been there. Hope it's nothing serious.

If you have one of the "sensitive tummy" labs, you'll get familiar with "beige food" for them. Fortunately, they love it so they think it's a treat not treatment!

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Yep, keep up with the metronidazole, it helps soothe and calm down her tummy and GI tract. I'm thinking they may have told you to feed her still because she's a puppy, but withholding food for a day is okay, just not much longer than that. Give her a chance to empty out, and then you can slowly start with the food the vet gave you (I'm guessing it was only a couple days' worth?) or just some boiled chicken and rice. It's bland so it shouldn't upset the stomach at all and will help firm things up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks! She was diarrhea free since 5:30 last night. Then she had her first bowel movement about a half hour ago and it was still super soft, but no uncontrollable like yesterday. It was also outside and not on my bedroom carpet :) I didn't feed her last night and was going to have her skip her dinner tonight as she ate two meals yesterday. Thanks for all your kind words and advice!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.