Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Not sure if this topic I'm asking about would fall into training or health, so I decided to post it here :).

The thing is, I'm planning to get Martta spayed, hopefully in about a month's time frame as it's then been a couple of months since her second heat cycle. I haven't booked the actual appointment yet. The thing is, the vet told me that she should only do limited exercise the couple of weeks following the spay (I'm assuming because of stitches and all) . Now there's a challenge in itself with her energy level :D.

If I do get her spayed now, do you think we could still participate in the doggy obed class, we've been going to? I'm not sure if that's strenuous or risky for her. Since, at the end of this course we get to try out for the CGC certification (yikes, kind of nervous. We're practicing bit by bit :)), and I'd really want to participate in that.

I'll ask the vet when making the appointment, but I figured I would ask you too for opinions or experiences.

So fire away :). Thanks!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
How many days after the surgery is her obedience class? If its a week later I'd say probably yes, but double check with your vet. It's major surgery (obviously) so even if she is capable of doing it she is probably not going to feel like it if the class is any sooner than a week after the surgery.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
when Maddy was spayed, we were told no activities for 10 days. If your class falls within those 10 days, you should not go. Otherwise, finish the class and then spay. You normally have 6-8 months between heat cycles.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
If your dog was male, I would say no problem but the spay is a big surgery. It takes a coupe weeks for them to be better...not that she won't act better in a few days. I had one rescue dog split her stitches five days after and started bleeding, we had to take her back in a redo internal stitches. She was very active and jumped up every time someone said hi.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Zoe was spayed on a Friday, and we went to class on Wednesday.
But I guess every dog differs...

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Cinnamon was spay on a Thursday and we went to class the following Wednesday but I made sure no bitey face broke out and that all we did was the class excercises. I also limited the number of up and downs. I timed it so I knew we were working on walking nicely past other dogs and such. So she was not having to get out of a down position very often. Check your class schedule. Find a class that will meet those needs and schedule her spay for the day after class so she has a week to heal. Now granted we hadn't done a lot of training that week but the instructor understood. I would also let your fellow dog owners in class know you are trying to keep her a little quiet and why so they will control their dogs some.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, for your answers. I will try to schedule the op right after the class, so that there is at least a week in between. There is no playing with others in the class anyway really, so that should help a bit.

The CGC test isn't until late May, so if I can get the spay around early May, we should be OK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts