Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like only yesterday that I collected my little chocolate girlie. Well today when I got home from work I noticed that she has started her first season, bless her little heart. She still looks too young to be a big grown up lady but started she has.

As most of you will know I have been a lab owner for ever and always but I've never had a girl and so this is the first time I have had to deal with this.

Is there anything that I should know about or be doing that anyone can advise me on?

Any advice, tips rules etc..would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Here she is today, it certainly hasn't slowed her down and the boys haven't batted an eyelid.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Aww already?! I can't believe it either!! :eek:

Are your boys neutered? If not, you are definitely going to have to separate them. Normally when the ***** is just starting, she won't let the males around her, but soon after she'll let them mount her, so you're going to have to be careful unless you want her pregnant!

I don't know how many intact male dogs there are around you, but they will all come running, looking for her!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
My main advice would be never to let the little hussy out of your sight. Not even for a minute. They have one thing on their minds right now and will do anything to do it.

She needs to be supervised closely and can't go out in the yard alone.

Doggy pants help with the mess but you need to make sure no one eats the pad. Take the pants off and crate her when you can't be home to watch her. There's a rule here that whoever lets the girl out with her pants on has to clean it afterwards. ;)

Some girls are messier than others. Darby was like a faucet whereas Libby was very clean.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
This doesn't pertain to your question, but...

What are those yellow things in the pictures with your pretty girl? Do you actually put plastic flowers outside in England? They can't be real, it is snowing here today.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
What Labby said! She was a Godsend for me when Macy went into heat, as it was my first experience, too.

Mace kept herself very clean, as a matter of fact we didn't even need the pads for her. Didn't bleed much at all.

Hey Laura (or someone), maybe you can give her the timeframe of events. I can't remember. Was it around day 13 that the female really wants it, and will do anything to get it? I remember Macy was up all night crying and whining because she wanted out so bad. I had to lay on the floor with her to keep her calm.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Depends on the girl. My girls tend to ovulate later in their cycles. Figure day 10 to day 18 are going to be hell, but plan on them being fertile for 4 weeks and you'll cover all of it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Figure day 10 to day 18 are going to be hell
That's putting it mildly! I am SO HAPPY she's spayed now, no way could I go through that again.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, both my boys are neutered and she never gets to go out without one of us there.

We walk them all in a local forrest off leash, is it advisable NOT to let her off leash? We rarely see other people and she doesn't run off ahead but MIGHT she when she has the urge?

I had no idea about the restlessness/whining etc... so thanks for that.

how long is it before we spay once the season is over?

At least day one is on the first of the month so I won't lose track of the days and even better I break up for the Easter holidays from work for 2 weeks on Friday so i'll be around to make sure she's behaving.

I'll pick up a pair of pants tomorrow on the way home.

Oh and Ed those daffodils were real, I only know because she ate one then spat it all out the dirty mare!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
We walk them all in a local forrest off leash, is it advisable NOT to let her off leash? We rarely see other people and she doesn't run off ahead but MIGHT she when she has the urge?
NO NO NO NO NO, do NOT have her off leash for a second! Seriously. She's never run off ahead, but she will now, believe me. She will run far to get a piece!!!!!!!!!!! Please don't. They lose all rational thinking during this time. In the yard, on a leash only!

how long is it before we spay once the season is over?
You'll get differing opinions on that. My vet, who I trust completely, would not touch her until 4 months went by. That's the amount of time it takes for everything in there to go back to normal. Less risk, less bleeding, smaller incision and faster healing that way.

Good luck!! :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
NO OFF LEASH! Not nowhere, not nohow! I don't care how good her recall is, every intact male within a couple of miles is going to be coming after her and it doesn't take but a split second for an accident to happen.

I would not take her on long walks, either, unless you carry a baseball bat or very heavy umbrella to beat off the males.

Best advice - stay in the immediate area of the house with her. If you see a strange dog approaching, get her inside immediately. That's the only way to protect her.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Message received and understood guys, thank-you, as much as the lack of exercise is going to drive her insane better that than a litter of unwanted puppies.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I'll warn you about using a flexi leash too. I "felt sorry" for Emilu when she was in heat, and decided to walk her on a flexi so she could get a little more exercise, but I could still control her on a short leash if needed. Well, I had let the leash out just little when the neighbors dog appeared at the end of our yard. She took off to run to him, hit the end of the flexi leash , it broke and she just kept going! Luckily, with me screaming, Skippy "guarding the neighbor dog" and Emilu getting confused, I got her back without incident, but I'll never trust a flexi again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My little one, Bunny, is in her first heat as well, and even with all that I was told by her breeder and others, it's nothing like experiencing it for the first time! I didn't have bloomers on hand and haven't had the time to run to the pet store so right now the poor girl is wearing my little sister's Mickey Mouse undies!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I guess it depends on where you live, but in our neighborhood, our dog owners have good fences and no loose dogs. I am able to walk Grace her first week of her season on leash, and we never see another dog. I have yet to ever see a dog near our house when she is in season either. Our intact male loves his walk so much that I can even walk him with Grace and no problems. It's really all a matter of how you are with your dogs, and how much you watch them, and how well they are trained.

Grace is 9 days in. She wears pants in the house, is crated when no one is home and at night without pants. Other than some interested sniffing, the 3 intact boys are leaving her alone. I let her potty in the yard on her own. We're completely fenced in so I don't supervise, but she doesn't stay out long.

I expect in about 5-6 days, Hudler will start crying and stop eating, and then Grace will spend alot more time in the crate, even when I am home. I'll stop her walks too.

Towards the end, it will be more like the beginning again, and we'll resume to all dogs together, supervised, pants on, until it's over.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anyone able to give a timeline for a first heat? I know it'll vary, but I'm curious what we're in for. Lily is taking a 6-hour drive with us for Thanksgiving in two weeks and she just started her first season on Friday the 13th.

We've been told she'll be in season for three weeks, but how long will she bleed? What comes after that? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The only other thing I would add is to give her 100% chlorophyll tablets. They are sold without prescription/over the counter and are usually used by people who have had colostomies in order to control odor problem or other body odor problems. The chlorophyll will mask/eliminate the estrus scent so that dogs are not attracted to your back yard or anywhere else she pees.

Dogs that live with her (in very close quarters will know), but passing dogs and those running loose or nearby will not know. The chlorophyll will do nothing but mask scent - your ***** will be WILLING & ABLE to breed and conceive - the only thing the chlorophyll will do is cut down on the "advertising" ;)

This tip was given to me many years ago by a German Wirehaired Pointer breeder; and at that time we did have to field trial a ***** and it worked at the field trial. At home we watched in amazement as the random loose dog would trot right by our fenced yard without even turning a head. We were told to start giving the 100%chlorophyll tablets at the first sign of heat and continue until she was out of heat, and to follow the directions/dosage on the container for internal use for adults.

That said, all the above rules apply - never unattended outside and always on leash outside; but with the chlorophyll you should be able to take her for long walks -her always being on leash- and not attract intact dogs from a distance.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I don't remember all of it, but I do remember I never wanted her or I to ever have to go through it again:eek: Sammi actually acted depressed for the majority of the heat cycle, except when she was " in the mood". I know it was around day 10 when I started keeping her leashed up even in our fenced back yard, I could hear dogs howling and she was trying everything to get out, my relatively mild dog was crazed:D As far as the pants go, I just got some Velcro ones that could be thrown in the wash, and I used just a generic inexpensive pad in them, Sammi left it totally alone so that worked well for us. Our vet said to wait at least 3-4 months after the end of heat to spay, so that's what we did! Good luck and remember this to shall pass! :)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Oh boy, the joys I have to look forward to!
Kate, good luck! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts