Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last two days when Rowan and I have been out walking..... she doesn't appear to listen to me (when on leash).. she is in her own little world.... how do I get her attention AGAIN??? We are just going for short walks and I haven't gotten her prong collar fitted for her yet so she is on a flat collar/harness and retractable leash.......

THE bigger problem is when we are heading back after our walk - she gets puppy crazed and wild and put the leash in her mouth... and JUMPS all over me....... her nails dig into my legs and it bloody well hurts... I put my knee up today and gave a firm "NO.. jump"... but she is like she is another planet....she does the growl thing... like she is wrestling with the leash... I would like to let her off.. but wonder if she will return... so I haven't tried that.... WHEN I GOT HER ON THE DECK.. in a confined space... I told her to SIT, then looked her in the eye and said NO JUMP and she settled right down and let me take off her harness etc.
Any suggestions???

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Re: Advice needed - end of walk....

For starters I hate retractable leashes, they reward your dog for pulling, which is exactly what you don't want your dog doing. I would recommend getting a 6ft leather leash it will be easier on your hands than a nylon leash. When Rowan is in the middle of a tantrum get her to sit down THERE. By waiting until you get home she learned that she would get what she wants as long as she pitched a big enough fuss. Get her to sit down at your side and then resume the walk. She will probably throw the tantrum again, because it has worked in the past. Get her to sit in a heel position until she stops misbehaving. And until you feel like you have a reliable recall I would never let this dog off leash unless I was in an enclosed space.
Olie

·
Registered
8,472 Posts

Possibly it's that she needs more exercise and doesn't want the walk to end so soon. Walks don't really gve that much vigorous physical exercise.

To test this out, you might might give her the recommended "5 minutes of daily vigorous exercise for each month of age" beforeyou take your walk. I like fetching offleash as a preferred vigorous exercise.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It has been a VERY long cold winter here.. and we have had TONS of snow which have made it difficult for decent, regular walks. Rowan does not throw the tantrum on the walk... it is as we are entering our yard OFF the trail when we return. When I am walking her on the street I make her heel using a 6 ft leash... when we go on the trail I use the retractable so she can sniff and explore.

Rowan has been spayed ( a week ago) and although the snow is melting and the temperatures are better my vet has told me to keep her exercise limited FOR 2 Weeks. I do believe, this is what she is telling me .. that she doesn't the walk to end..... BUT.... in life we don't always get what we want and I am trying to figure out ways to CONTROL this behaviour... kwim?? :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

In general (I know that this isn't possible because of the spay right now), it sounds like Rowan needs a lot more exercise and another obedience class.

A properly fitted prong will help, but is not a behavior solution. Furthermore, I would put the retractable leash on hold until her behavior is almost absolutely consistent. From the other things you've posted about her behavior - getting over excited about other dogs, kids, etc- I don't think she's there yet.

Do you walk the same route every day? If she can predict the end of the walk, she predict when/where to throw a fit. Also, varying the walk is more mentally tiring for her. Try walking a different direction, a different loop, coming home in through the front, etc.

How do you handle the fit? Do you ignore it? Yell "Rowan, off" and get upset? What I would do is have a squeaky toy or treats in my pocket and when I saw ANY impending signs of a fit or actually probably before it, I would begin obedience practice. use the treats or squeaky toy and make it very happy. She'll forget about the fit.

Also, try giving her a treat if she gets in the house without throwing a fit. When gabby was on rest, she started "stalling" to be outside more. Fine sometimes, but sometimes I just need her to pee and come back in. So occasionally, I give her a treat when she gets inside- so she always pees when I tell and then comes in when I ask in case there might be a treat. Make sense? If Rowan thinks there could be a treat inside, why pitch a fit outside?

Prevention is a lot easier than dealing with when it occurs :)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts

Yes, IKWYM ---Since you have another week to go, you might try mental games at home -- those sometimes "wear out" a Lab enough.

For instance, I sometimes hide a number of Puff's Training Dummies (AKA "bumpers") around the house in easy to find places and then send her out to find them. She finds one, brings it to me, and then repeats that over and over for the rest. If you don't have TDs, then toys, baseballs, or tennis balls would work.

After she's learned the rules of the game, I hide them in progressively more difficult places. She doesn't run but it does keep her quite intense and serves the purpose.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

When I take Rowan just 'out to' pee on the leash - she is good... does her business and comes in without any difficulty.

Just a reminder - Rowan is only 8.5 months old - I know she has a lot of learning to do yet. :) I do have treats in my pocket when I am out with her unfortunately the cherrios don't work that well and I have moved away from her dog biscuits as she has to get weight off - it is trying to get her calm to 'realize' that I have something more 'inticing' than the leash.

Unfortunately, where I live ( so far north) there isn't the greatest avenue of obedience class. I was very disappointed with the first one she was in.

Deep down, I know a lot of Rowan's issues are from lack of exercise. No, when she is starting to throw her fit - I just stand there and let her go to it with a firm "NO" unless she is hurting me then of course I am reacting a little differently but for the most part I just stand there and let her "DO HER THING" then she exhausts and stops.

I think it is the leash/rope thing cause I have her on a 30ft leash/rope in the back yard playing fetch and she does the same thing with the rope in mouth even when I am not holding onto it...........

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Dawson Creek Girl said:
Just a reminder - Rowan is only 8.5 months old - I know she has a lot of learning to do yet. :) I do have treats in my pocket when I am out with her unfortunately the cherrios don't work that well and I have moved away from her dog biscuits as she has to get weight off - it is trying to get her calm to 'realize' that I have something more 'inticing' than the leash.
Yeah, Rowan is the same age pretty much as Gabby and Tal.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just took Rowan for a 20 minute walk on the trail using our 6ft leash and I fitted her prong collar. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I only had to correct her a couple of times on 'heel' and she walked nicely. She was torpedoing through the snow at the end of the walk and attempted to pull her usual 'wild antics' and when she started a gave her a tug on the leash.. and said NO! And she obeyed and game into the yard.

Thanks for the tips :) :) - I think if I get her out on the trials during more quiet times and work on her training she will be more prepared to deal with distractions when the times arise.. kwim?? :)

I was wondering Gabbysmom - do you have children??

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Dawson Creek Girl said:
I was wondering Gabbysmom - do you have children??
Uh, no. Why?

I'm 23 and a full-time law student.

I used to work for a vet before this "law stuff" and did a lot of horse training (mainly retraining of ex-racehorses for second careers and then selling them)- so I'm very interested in behavior modification.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason I asked cause you mentioned Gabby and Tal being the same age...... and I know that Tal's Dad doesn't have any children... but I have two young boys and my husband works long hours so 'regular' routine walks in our day don't normally happen - I fit it in usually when I come home after work - as I teach.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Dawson Creek Girl --

I don't have great advice for you, I just wanted you to know that Misty does the EXACT same thing. In MY case, I'm not sure if it is a lack of exercise or not; in any case, as soon as we enter the yard after a walk, she goes ballistic. Running around, butt-tucking, jumping up and snagging/biting my clothes -- just going insane! She is so well-behaved ON our walks -- often off-leash, I might add. She obeys, does what she is supposed to do for the most part...but then when we hit the yard, she loses her mind and pulls this Jekyll-and-Hyde act -- where she turns into psycho dog.

I thought I had a solution for it -- I thought "maybe if, about 100 feet before our yard, I put her in a sit-stay and re-attach her leash, maybe this will help." So I tried that -- but it didn't work. Yeah, it solved the running around like a crazed animal butt-tucking, but it just made her jump up to snag my clothes all the more, and also chew the leash like crazy! I, too, do the "put the knee up" and say "OFF," but she's too out-of-control for it to matter much. Like you said, once we FINALLY get on the porch, and I can get her attention, I put her in a sit-stay and give her a treat and then we are fine. I don't know what the deal is; I do suspect that it is that she doesn't want the outside time to end -- but, I have taken her for 1 to 1 1/2 mile walks off-leash (so she can run and get more exercise), and when we get home, she STILL does the crazy act. One thing I will add to this is, she also acts crazy like this when we play fetch. I have started demanding a sit-stay from her before I throw the bumper/dummy, but prior to this, she would go insane, jumping and running around, and snatching the dummy from my hand before I could even throw it. Then, when I'd take it from her to throw it again, she would jump up and grab my arm/shirt/whatever! ::)

I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one whose lab puppy (Misty is almost 20 weeks old) goes crazy AT THE END of a walk!

Steve

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Was reading your post, and just wanted you to know that between the age of 7-11 months was by far our hardest. Sammi was sent back to "moms" boot camp- she had to earn everything- now that she is 14months old, she is not perfect, but a nice pup to be around and walk on almost every occasion. On this forum I am embarrassed to say she has never been to a formal obedience class. However I do work with her everyday and have opportunity at least 3-4 days a week to socialize her with pups and kids. Wasn't sure we would get through the pulling, jumping and overall bad behavior, but we did, and I have all the confidence in the world that you will also! :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Dawson Creek Girl said:
The reason I asked cause you mentioned Gabby and Tal being the same age...... and I know that Tal's Dad doesn't have any children... but I have two young boys and my husband works long hours so 'regular' routine walks in our day don't normally happen - I fit it in usually when I come home after work - as I teach.
Yeah, I understand the short time thing as a law student. I have to work smarter around gabby rather than longer- I don't have time to do the two hour walks/fetch sessions that she and Maverick would like - that's where a lot of my suggestions came from- well, that and reconditioning the really nasty, barn sour horses. You really have to be smarter around horses- you can't just slap a bigger bridle on a horse and hope the problem on a sour horse goes away - you have to out think them or you end up getting hurt.

steveandginger said:
Dawson Creek Girl --

I, too, do the "put the knee up" and say "OFF," but she's too out-of-control for it to matter much.
Steve- It's really not recommended to do this for several reasons. One as you've already found out- it doesn't work. Labs tend to view it as a game. "You bump me and I'll bump you." Two, grown men rarely have an idea of how strong they are in relation to a puppy/dog and the timing issue in regards to a correction like this is very difficult to get correct. I had a Lab come into the clinic that I worked at with a broken rib because the lab jumped up, the dad went to jerk the knee up- end of story. The worst part is that the lab continued to jump- proving that the correction was ineffective.

The Other End of the Leash, Don't Shoot the Dog and Outwitting Dogs has some good safe solutions for this behavior.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just want to be clear that I don't normally put my knee up at Rowan but HAD to do it yesterday to protect myself as she was so out of control and really hurting me.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
DCG I was thinking about your situation this morning while I was walking Oona. Try this. When you get about 150 ft from home pick up your pace. This change might be enough to stimulate Rowan. Once the snow is gone and its safe try running the last 50 yards. Or once you get inside play a for another 15 minutes so she doesn't think the fun ends at the door step.
Olie

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks ~ I will try that! ;)

We were out several times today exploring different areas of the trial using the prong and my 6ft leash. She did fabulously again. WE even came upon a couple sitting on a bench and with some 'stern' tone - NO and a jerk on the prong a couple of times she obeyed.... and then I was able to get her to sit.... and we proceeded without incident. When we were coming back into the yard.. she attempted to start her 'torpedo' moves into the snow... (which starts the craziness)... and I just said, "ROWAN, NO - easy"... and she complied! ::)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
When you give her a correction turn around and walk back the way you came about 6 ft. Going back the way you just came for no apparent reason is illogical to a dog and it snaps them out of whatever they were focused on. Make Rowan walk to the outside when you do this. Oona was so good at this when I stopped she would correct herself and start to turn around before the correction.
Olie

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
'walk to the outside' in a heel position going back the 6ft??? and is this any type of correction??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts