Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's always been my understanding that puppies get a series of shots at 6 weeks, 9 week, and 12 weeks. And then they get Rabies.

Is this correct?

I'm asking because a vet tech told me I needed one more series for Remington. I believe he's finished and I don't want to over-vaccinate (he still needs Rabies)

Please advise me what your vet does.

K

·
0 Posts
We do 4 sets. 6, 8-9, 14, and 17. on the 17 week shots Jacey will get her rabies along with her other shots. I am intrested as to what other people say because I thought it was only 3+ a rabies..

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so are you getting another booster PLUS rabies on the 4th time?

I know the vet tech told me they do distemper and something else one more time, plus rabies. But I just always thought 3 boosters was it.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
We did the series you describe with Angus, then the Rabies at sixteen weeks.

I am not sure if there is a way to avoid the puppy boosters. It has been my impression (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you need to do the puppy series, then another booster at a year, THEN you can titer.

Any one of that series could work, and really only one is necessary...the problem is, they don't know when the mother's immunity has worn off and the shots will not work until that has happened. So, that's why the series every few weeks, so they can be sure one of them has worked. (You probably already know this).

I wonder, if you were very careful not to expose your puppy to anything, could you just take them in and get that last booster? Not that I am suggesting you should do this of course, just hypothetically...wonder if that would work?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Yes, three boosters, and then rabies at a later date.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My vet is doing a fourth shot. He told us that while most breeders will do a shot around six weeks it is not really effective as they still have the immunities from their mom. He therefore had us do a shot at 8 weeks, 12 weeks, and the last one will be in a couple of weeks--I think around 17 weeks. I believe at that time he will also be giving a rabies shot as well.

K

·
0 Posts
on my chart thing the vet tech gave me it says that Jacey will have at 14 weeks her boostres and rabies..

·
Registered
506 Posts
Finn had shots at 7 weeks with the bredder, then 10 weeks, 13 weeks, and 16 weeks with us. I believe he will get his rabies at the 16 week.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We do ours at 6,8,11,14 and then Rabies at 16 weeks. We have never had problems with this and I take my puppies out in public and to classes at 9 to 10 weeks old.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I don't do rabies until between the ages of 20 and 24 weeks.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
We have to do rabies at four months here. :-\

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
All of the published recommendations recommend a series of at least 3 combo vaccines (the distemper, hepatitis, and parvo ones) with the *last* "puppy booster" vaccine recommended between 14 and 16 wks of age. These published recommendations include AAHA's 2006 Canine Vaccination Guidelines, which was the published paper that prompted many veterinarians to start vaccinating every 3 years for DHPP as adults instead of yearly- http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/VaccineGuidelines06Revised.pdf.

That last vaccine, given after 14 wks, like Laura mentioned above, is probably the most important simply because before that time, there are a certain number of puppies who will still have circulating antibody from mom in their systems that can and will interfere with the efficacy of the vaccines up until that time. It is unknown which pups will and which pups won't have that extra maternal antibody, which is why they came up with this type of recommendation (ie- a series).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts