Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cappy's biopsy area on Feb 8th.

Following surgery today to remove the malignant mast cell tumor. Doc felt he got clean margins all the way around and that there's less than a 25% probability of a regrowth in the same area.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

However, the not so good news is that Cappy's lost another pound and a half since last week and the blood and urinalysis today confirms the early onset of renal failure. He goes back on March 8th to get the stitches out from today's surgery. By then I will have gotten my head around the various options we have to begin treatment on my boy. Right now I'm only dealing with emotion.

Any words of advice and/or encouragement from those of you who've had Labs that have gone through kidney failure would be appreciated. I recognize that you've all been more than generous lately with Cappy good thoughts but a hug and continuing prayer would also be appreciated. This one really has me worried.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Oh, Jim, I really feel for you. Of course you and Cappy will continue to be in my thoughts. That incision is quite dramatic and scary looking, but it does look clean and good margins are key. That's an area where there's a lot of "extra" skin, which certainly helps.

I don't really know much about renal failure. But for some reason I keep thinking that if it's early stages, it can be managed fairly well through a combination of diet and medication, and maybe extra fluids to keep the kidneys flushed. But I'm no expert.

Give Cappy a big gentle hug. And maybe put him in a silly t-shirt to protect the incision and to make you smile. Nothing for smiles like dogs in shirts. Ask Toby.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Jim, first of all--big hugs to you and Cappy. This is hard, I know.

Second, I had a dog (not a lab) that was diagnosed with renal failure. She was put on a low protein diet--KD I believe. That did the job for a little over a year. Then she had an episode of bloody diarrhea that just about did her in. The vet actually told me that we should put her down. However, we persisted, fed her canned KD for the first time and she began eating again. The vet said she had been visited by a doggy angel--that is how dramatic the difference was. She lived for about another 7-8 months after that. We put her down at the age of 14.
So with proper management, Cappy can have several more years ahead.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Jim, first {{{HUGS}}} for you and Cappy. 2nd. My Twiggy had renal failure and lived for 3 years after diagnosis with a managed diet. I fed her the Science Diet /KD and while it wasn't the most exciting food for her she did well on it for a long time. I then went to homemade diet that my vet gave me the recipe for and she was on that until the last few months of her life when she became a fussy eater and we cooked what ever she would eat. This dog lived to 17 yo and 3 years of it were with kidney disease. So there are still options for a good quality life for Cappy. Prayers for sweet Cappy continue.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
No advice, just sending many many prayers and good thoughts.....

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Good thoughts and prayers from Hershey Kisses and her family. Give Cappy another jug and tell him we all know she has the best family in the world taking care of him.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Good thoughts here for Cappy. Please give him a hug from Titan and Moses.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sending you a hug and healing thoughts for Cappy. I hope all goes well for you and your gorgeous dog.

Chrissie and Ben

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
lots of hugs for you and Cappy. :) Get well soon little man!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Jiim, I enjoy so much your posts about the wonderful Cappy. Please know I send my very best thoughts, prayers and hugs to you both. Please keep us posted and give cap a special hug from me. Peg

1 - 20 of 61 Posts