Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I was wondering if i could have some friendly advice..?
Both myself and my partner are thinking about re-homing a 7year old black lab called Max.
Max is house trained and very obedient for his current owner. He gets on with kids and other dogs. He is being re-homed because his current owner cannot exercise him anymore.
We have never owned a dog but would love to. Big long walks in the sun, snow or rain would not be a problem, we live pretty much in the country so lots of walks available. I have a fairly long garden which is enclosed.
I am more than aware of the cost, food vets bills, insurance..
We would have a dogsitter for holidays (2 weeks a year)
My main concern is that I work 37.5hrs a week over 4 days and my partner works 9-5 week days. My neighbour has 3 dogs and he would like to take Max on a long walk during the day. My hours are not always 9-5. I work shifts inc nights so max wouldn't always be left alone all day.
Is this acceptable?

I would appreciate helpful responses
thanks
Kate

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Kate! It kind of depends on what he is used to and what his individual needs are...I have 4 dogs...an eleven year old golden retriever and 3 labs ranging in age from one to three. They are used to staying alone all day and they have no problem. My husband does come home once a day on his lunch to let the youngest one out (for about 20 minutes) but other than that they are crated or confined from early morning till late afternoon....almost 9 hours daily (except weekends) What I have noticed is they just sleep during the day or chew on a nylabone. When we get home in the evening that's when they get to go out and run in the yard, exercise, and be with us. I personally think if you can take him on walks in the evenings and weekends he will probably be fine but then again as I said it will depend on him and what he is used to. I would talk with the current owners and ask what he is used to doing during the day when he is with them. If you feel comfortable with your neighbor taking him during the day out for a walk that could be a great solution for a break between the long hours.

Good Luck and I hope to see pictures soon of your new best friend!

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I think Max is going to have a wonderful home with you. You sound more than acceptable to me.

Seven years ago family wanted a labrador. I didn't want a big black dog. I soon fell in love with Kassy my soul mate and companion. Three years later I adopted her litter mate after she passed.
Kassy taught me Labs are the most amazing animals and with a little love they will give you 100% love and devotion. They never ask for much and give so much in return. They are quite happy to be by themselves for 8 or more hours and want to be by your side for the other 16. Sleeping on your bed if they can.
They drop fur, drool at the sight of food, need excersise every day or they can become bored,make you laugh, and fall in love with them.

Looking forward to pics.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I think that a great majority of dogs have "working parents". It sounds like you have thought eveything out very well and I think "your" dog would have a wonderful home. The only thing I'm going to suggest is that you not leave hour dog in the fenced in yard during the day when he is alone. If he has been in the house and used to that, I would leave him in the house, crated or not, whatever he is used to, if you want to leave him outside , I think the a small fenced in kennel inside the yard is safer and the dog wouldn't feel like he has to "protect" his whole yard - would be less likely to try to dig out, bark, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much guys for your feedback.
I have spoken to the current owners who sound very positive about us having Max.
My main concern was leaving him alone during the day and apparently, he currently spends around 8 hours alone if both parents are working. This is good news, as I said earlier, my neighbour would like to walk him for us if we are going to be out all day!
Mark and myself have arranged to go and walk Max next Friday, so please keep your fingers crossed!
Thanks again
Kate xx

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
We're a working family and our pups accept that and adapt their routine accordingly. They sleep most of the day and get their exercise, fuss and attention in the late afternoon and evenings.

You sound as though you have thought this through sensibly and would make a great lab owner, good luck, let us know how things go x

btw, we are Mark and Kate too!!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I think Max is going to have a wonderful home with you. You sound more than acceptable to me.
Me too. :)

I think one advantage you will have is Max's age. At seven he will probably be quite a bit more settled than a younger Lab, and happy to nap a lot of the time someone isn't around.

We both work and are gone for, oh, probably about ten hours each day. I do like giving them a break in the middle of the day, so once a week I go home at lunch, my Mom goes one day, and I have a dog walker who comes over to play fetch with them on the other days. It sounds like your neighbor will be a great help to you.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I hope things work out. You sound like caring, responsible, thoughtful owners.

My husband and I both work full time. We do take the dogs to daycare twice a week, but other weekdays they're on their own in a gated room all day. They get walk/playtime/attention all evening. Sounds like your neighbor will be able to help out a lot, which is great.

Oh, and I second the not-alone-in-the-fenced-year-all-day statement. Inside is safest, or a purpose-built kennel if necessary.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Would you like to adopt me? LOL

Sounds like you can give the dog a great life. Your working schedule seems perfect actually. I leave mine from 8:30 to 2PM and from 4pm to 9PM and don´t have a problem at all. They keep each other company, have a nice large yard with access to the house in case it rains (like they care...)

Go for it and give the dog a good life

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys, were going to go and meet Max tomorrow.
I'm very excited but want to keep a level head!!
Were going to his house so we can see him in his own envionment, hopefully we'll also be able to take him for a work as well!
Any advice or tips?
Kate xx

·
Registered
147 Posts
Glad to hear your pursuing the adoption! My advice/tip...be patient...go slow..it will be a big adjustment for him...good luck...I look forward to seeing pictures!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys,
We have Max.
We brought him straight home, only had him for 4hours and he's settled very well. He's asleep on the sofa (naughty boy) I think you will agree he is a daddies boy!!
I'm not sure how to put pics up though!?!?!
Kate and Mark xx

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Congratualtions! Looking forward to pictures. to post them, you need to first upload them to a photo sharing site like Photobucket (which I use) or others. Then you copy-paste the link from there. I think there's a sticky somewhere on that.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts