Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here I sit at my desk waiting to receive official written notice that my position is being terminated as of March 31st. After a huge unit review and under a new big boss, our unit has been given a new mandate, and the responsibilities under my desk are being changed dramatically. So they are terminating my position and posting a new one. One that I am not all that qualified for, nor would I want.

Because I'm in management, not unionized, there isn't much I can do. Our HR will put me on redeployment notice, so if any openings come up they'll recommend me for them - but they can't make the unit take me as they would with a union employee. HR is going to give me some help with my application to a few positions that are open right now. It is a fairly large employer so I hope something will come up here. I have a lot of years here, have built up lots of annual vacation and a decent salary, I would like to stay. If I do leave I will get severance, but then things are pretty scary. I'm applying for everything I can right now that I am remotely qualified for.

Anyhow, that's what is new with me! All plans for another baby, a new house, etc. are being put on hold until we know what is happening...

I was thinking that if I found something great externally, I would actually be better off, as I would have a new job AND my severance package... which could go into savings for a new house! Although, I would prefer to stay here, because of the benefits I've built...

Wish me luck with finding a new job, soon!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh no Jo, I'm so sorry. It sounds like you have a great attitude about the whole thing, so I'm sure you'll find something soon. :)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
So sorry to hear that, I know what a horrible feeling that it. I hope you find something that will work out perfectly for you.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I hope you find something that will be good for you and without any unemployment period. To a degree, I ffel fortunate. Old enough and ready to retire. Kind of hanging around hoping for a RIF which I will volunteer for and take the severance package and run.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Sorry Jo, that sucks. Best of luck with your job search! I hope something great turns up soon.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Best of luck, Jo. I hope everything works out exactly as you want it!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
That sucks, I hope things turn around quickly for you.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
That's terrible! Good luck to you. SU said he is in danger of losing his job too. Their sales are down drastically and they holding on by a thread to keep everyone.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Prayers that whats best will happen!

13 years ago I was let go, I received a nice severance package and was able to stay home as a fulltime mom for almost 9 years! I know times are different now but look at ALL of your options prior to making a decision

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the well wishes!

Prayers that whats best will happen!

13 years ago I was let go, I received a nice severance package and was able to stay home as a fulltime mom for almost 9 years! I know times are different now but look at ALL of your options prior to making a decision
I don't think I'm cut out to stay at home, maybe if we had more than one child, but Ben has so much fun at the baby-sitter's! Not nearly as much as being home with just mommy, lol.

I still haven't received my notice, which will have the severance info in it... but I believe it is one month per year of service, so 8 months for me plus I'll get paid out over 4 weeks vacation. I will qualify for Employment Insurance benefits if I don't have another job before I'm laid off (although they are only about $700 bi-weekly I think, and not sure for how long they last)... I would be saving child care costs of $125/ week as well... So if the worst case scenario does happen and I don't have another job by my last day - I know we'll be ok for a little while. Its just very scary to think about going through the job hunt from the outside, ya know? It adds an element of desperation for sure!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts