Just Labradors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- Increasing the tax will cause some people to stop smoking. If enough people stop smoking state revenue will actually decrease instead of increase. So the tax will not raise any money.

- People will switch from tobacco to pot because cigarettes will become too expensive.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
It's always been about the revenues. Governments keep adding restrictions on smoking but stop short of an outright ban because they would lose too much money.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
who are those yahoo's...i'll put them on my list of who not to vote for next term along with my commissioner who can't think of any other way to get revenue in the county other than to increase homeowner's taxes.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
who are those yahoo's...i'll put them on my list of who not to vote for next term along with my commissioner who can't think of any other way to get revenue in the county other than to increase homeowner's taxes.
I can't remember. They mentioned their names on the radio, but they didn't sound familiar. I just thought it was too funny no matter how you feel about taxes, cigarettes or pot.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Buy the little Seegars that look like cigs, no cig tax, I bought a pack on the way to work tonight for 70 cents, cheapest cigs are $3.99. Oh and if you decide to roll yer own, don't buy cig tobacco, buy pipe type, same thing.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or you could just not smoke.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Or you could just not smoke.
Yeah but I have to have at least a couple bad habits, lots of folks could quit doing a lot of things. I gave up pot and alcohol almost 25 years ago. Worst thing is almost all of the folks I know who don't have any bad habits are plain boring.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Average price in the UK is around £5.20 for 20 (so near enough to $8 a pack), 50p of which goes direct to the NHS for the treatment of smoking related illnesses. Doesn't stop people smoking though...

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Average price in the UK is around £5.20 for 20 (so near enough to $8 a pack), 50p of which goes direct to the NHS for the treatment of smoking related illnesses. Doesn't stop people smoking though...
Maybe not, but at least it transfers some small portion of the burden for care of smoking related illnesses away from the nonsmoker and to the people using the product.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
glen you should have stayed with the pot...at least it has medicinal benefits! ;)
Yeah but it's a lot more than a maximum of a $100 fine for less than a pound here now. Sides that the price went way up on it last time I knew. Went from $10 an oz in 72 to $40 when I quite in 85.

BTW you can put a kilo brick in a hip roof lunch box and still have room for a thermos of coffee.:smokin:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
A few years ago Kentucky raised theirs from $.30/pack to $.60, and are talking about another hike. Given the current state budget projections, I would think that this would be an easy source of revenue now leading to lower outlays in the future (assuming it's a big enough hike). Seems like a no-brainer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.