Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... a slow and painful death.

It's old... it was in this house before the previous owner, so I'm figuring it's at least 8-10 yrs old? It's a very basic dishwasher of a low-end brand. It's not cleaning very well anymore and has always had a slow leak. I would often find a puddle about the size of a salad plate on the floor after the rinse cycle. Last night, however, it spewed water all over the kitchen floor. Henery thought it was hilarious and kept splashing in and out of his new pond. ::)

I'm pretty sure the seal is gone (duh). I'm pretty sure the cost to fix the seal is more than what this thing is worth.

So... I'm going dishwasher shopping! I'd prefer to have something REALLY quiet, with an adjustable top shelf. And of course, something energy/water efficient. My brother and SIL have a Miele and you can't even tell when it's running. It's kinda pricey though...

Any suggestions?

Thanks, in advance! :D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm in the same boat, mine just stopped the other day wont drain the water and just kind of humms. I wonder how you correctly measure a dishwasher. Do you have to measure from the inside somehow? First time home owner here, LOL.
I've seen a couple really nice ones online at Lowes.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I think I have the loudest and cheapest dishwasher in the world. It's a GE and came with the house when we bought it. It was brand new linke the house. i half wish mine would die so I could justify getting a new one. It works fine but it is so loud we can hear it in the bedroom upstairs at night. I can't hear Makenna crying upstairs but I can hear the dishwasher if that gives you perspective.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
got a new dishwasher in November. Nothing to fancy, just a whirlpool.
I was in the same boat as you. My dishwasher came with the house and it was old and did not clean very well and boy was it loud. I am amazed at how much cleaner my dishes are and I have to walk over and touch my dishwasher sometimes to see if it is running.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
The best feature my d/w has (other than being energy star, but I don't know if you have that in Canada) is that the top rack is adjustable up and down.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
We bought a Bosch last year when we reno'd the kitchen. It's very quiet, you hear it just enough to know its running. The model I bought does not have an adjustable top shelf however. Several people I knoe have them and have had no problems.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at the Bosch too!

I used to have a KitchenAid dishwasher in my old house (and a Frigidaire in the house previous to that). I loved the fact that the top rack was adjustable, sooo handy! They were both noisy, but not as noisy as the one that is dying. This one is so bad that I have to crank the TV if the dishwasher is running, and forget about putting a load in at night (the kitchen is right next to our bedroom). ::)

Jenn, what brand do you have? (yep, we have Energy Star here too!)

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
We have an Asko, it's quiet, but no adjusting top shelf. Maybe they do have a model that adjusts, though.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
henrysmom said:
Jenn, what brand do you have? (yep, we have Energy Star here too!)
Mine is a Kenmore and we bought it in 2005. It isn't silent, but it certainly isn't loud.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have a GE Profile. Had it 10 years now and it's still working well. At the time we bought it it was supposed to be the quietest one on the market (or so someone said), but it isn't that quiet. I'm sure they have all got quieter in the past 10 years. All the same I've been really pleased with it and it washes dishes well. My SIL really likes her Miele. You can be standing right beside it and not realize it's running. Since she entertains a lot that is a great feature for her.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
We bought the Kenmore from Sears that got the highest rating in Consumer Reports. We love it. It's super quiet, has a high Energy Star rating (we got a $50 rebate from our power company!), has several different settings, and the top rack lifts up. It seemed similar to the Bosch but much cheaper. You can also spend a bit more and get these super-cool rear jets that blast the crap off of pans. :D

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
theoconbrio said:
We bought the Kenmore from Sears that got the highest rating in Consumer Reports. We love it. It's super quiet, has a high Energy Star rating (we got a $50 rebate from our power company!), has several different settings, and the top rack lifts up. It seemed similar to the Bosch but much cheaper. You can also spend a bit more and get these super-cool rear jets that blast the crap off of pans. :D
Your d/w sounds suspiciously like mine. Have you been spying in my kitchen?

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Momma to J and A said:
theoconbrio said:
NO! If I was spying, I would have stolen your dogs. QED. I think we just have good taste in dishwashers and like a bargain. Or maybe your parents bought you a subscription to Consumer Reports like mine did. :)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
theoconbrio said:
Momma to J and A said:
theoconbrio said:
NO! If I was spying, I would have stolen your dogs. QED. I think we just have good taste in dishwashers and like a bargain. Or maybe your parents bought you a subscription to Consumer Reports like mine did. :)
Not taking the dogs is absolute proof that you HAVE been spying. QED right back atcha.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I'll lend you my dishwashers if I can play with Henery :)

I have two...one is connected to my right arm and the other to my left arm ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts