Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're refinancing our home and got a call from the appraiser last night...she wants to come tomorrow after work. :eek:

So I have basically 4 hours after work tonight and maybe an hour or so tomorrow morning before work to get the house prepped. Luckily I just did some major housework over vacation so the basics are done, but what should I give attention to besides cleaning and clutter control (and dog hair?)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
De-clutter everything possible. I think that's the most important thing. I watch "Sell This House" every week and they always stress that. I love that show!!

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Carpet stains, walls that need painting, bad grout in tiles, etc. Any small quick fixes that will make the place look better. How is the outside? Is the yard tidy? Is anything on the exterior of the house worn or broken? Is the garage clean and organized? Is the basement clean and organized? Do you have any rooms that are collecting junk? If so, clean them out and set the rooms up as they were intended to be used, otherwise they are dead space and that might be reflected in the new appraisal. Rent a strage locker if you need to to put everything while de-cluttering.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carpet stains, walls that need painting, bad grout in tiles, etc. Any small quick fixes that will make the place look better. How is the outside? Is the yard tidy? Is anything on the exterior of the house worn or broken? Is the garage clean and organized? Is the basement clean and organized? Do you have any rooms that are collecting junk? If so, clean them out and set the rooms up as they were intended to be used, otherwise they are dead space and that might be reflected in the new appraisal. Rent a strage locker if you need to to put everything while de-cluttering.
Gah! Cam! I only have 4 or 5 hours!!! :eek:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Are you preparing to sell, or refinancing. If refinancing, don't worry about it. They will check similar houses in the neighborhood for a price comparison, and will look at your place for major repair to the structure issues. They aren't looking to assess your housekeeping or decorating. Items that might be more important if a potential buyer was taking a look.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I tend to think a refi is more a creature of neighborhood comps than the house itself. A lot of appraisals are still drive-by around here...they don't even come inside. Of course that can be good and bad.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
For our refinance appraisal, I just cleaned, decluttered and organized.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you preparing to sell, or refinancing. If refinancing, don't worry about it. They will check similar houses in the neighborhood for a price comparison, and will look at your place for major repair to the structure issues. They aren't looking to assess your housekeeping or decorating. Items that might be more important if a potential buyer was taking a look.

We're just refinancing. We do want to get a home equity loan out of the deal and the better our appraisal is the more money we can get.

If we get a great appraisal and get the money we're hoping for we're going to reside the house, do the driveway and...be still my beating heart....REMODEL THE BUTT-UGLY BATHROOM!!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We're just refinancing. We do want to get a home equity loan out of the deal and the better our appraisal is the more money we can get.

If we get a great appraisal and get the money we're hoping for we're going to reside the house, do the driveway and...be still my beating heart....REMODEL THE BUTT-UGLY BATHROOM!!
Then relax, and just tidy up. :) They are going to look more for anything that can take away from or add to your home's value compared to the other homes in the neighborhood. You only have to follow Cam's suggestions if you are trying to sell.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

exactly. they don't care if you beds are unmade, your carpet is dirty...new carpet isn't going to get you a better appraisal than dirty carpet. they are basically attaching a value to your home based for financing reasons and unless you have a wall missing or have removed the applicances in the kitchen and taken the roof off; you will be okay.
be sure to point out upgrades such as granite, tile, hardwoods, jetted tubs, fence, added decking; that sort of thing.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whew. Ok. So I won't stay up all night reorganizing the basement. We did put on a new roof, got all new windows and put in central air which I will point out to them.

We do have water coming in the bottom stair of the basement bulkhead entry way, but we put in a drain and sump-pump to deal with that. Should I take out the door we have in the bulkhead entry way just so she doesn't focus on the water stain along the bottom of the door?

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
That.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I tend to think a refi is more a creature of neighborhood comps than the house itself. A lot of appraisals are still drive-by around here...they don't even come inside. Of course that can be good and bad.
When we went through a refi several years ago they never came inside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts