Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our neighbors (4 doors down) has a schnauzer who is always running the neighborhood :mad: Well about a month ago I started seeing a lab puppy with him when I saw him out. I was walking Mocha one night and they were out. Jiggy (schnauzer) ran right past us but Jordan (lab puppy) came running up jumping all over Mocha. He then proceded to follow us around the entire neighborhood on our walk jumping over her under her triping me :mad: I was so mad. He was friendly but has absolutley no manners. This has been going on for at least a month. We had new windows put in last week and he drove the contractors nuts he was tripping them and would not leave them alone. Jiggy bit one of them even though I warned them that he wasn't very friendly. Anyway when I was pulling into the neighborhood last Thursday I saw Animal Control leaving the neighborhood and wondered if they picked them up. Jiggy has been picked up numerous time by AC and the owners always go get him. I saw him later that night but no Jordan. After talking to some other neighbors they said AC picked up Jordan someone held him until they got there because they didn't know who he belonged to (he doesn't have any tags on). In a way I hope they don't go get him again because they don't take care of him but I don't want him put down either. He was fox red (and dudley) but cute as can be he just needed some training.

Then yesterday here they come walking around the neighborhood have you seen my yorkie ::) Their daughter has a yorkie that was running around with Jiggy all day and they couldn't find it ::) ::) ::) Why do you let it run!!! Just WHY!!!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Have they heard of the word "Fence"?

I simply can't fathom what these people are thinking...How many times does AC have to show up before they can take the dogs away from them??

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Yep, drives me nuts too....people shouldn't even own dogs if they don't give a rip for their safety....along with other things.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I can only assume that where you live the local government does not have any sort of leash law. In Houston it's a $200.00 fine and I have seen people recieve tickets. The fine goes up even more if you don't have a registration tag.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh man. :(

This sounds EXACTLY like our next door neighbors and their Lab puppy. Kevin used to come home just furious after Bo would follow them around, getting TWO boys on leash all riled up, tripping over them, etc.

And like your neighbor's pup, Bo is a FANTASTIC dog. He's extremely sweet. I have always thought so. They just don't put any effort into him. ::)

Well, I hope there will be a happy ending for the pup. I'm sorry you've had to put up with this...I know how not fun it is.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why do you let it run!!! Just WHY!!!

Because they are idiots??? My DH hit a young dog who was allowed to run loose, it just darted out in front of him as he rounded the corner by our house, he had little or no time to react to avoid without hitting a tree. He was devistated. This was not the first time the dog had been hit. The owners figured It would "teach him to stay out of the road":eek:. DH spoke with the neighbor and let him know this was irresponsible and not only jeopardized the safety of the dog but drivers who may get into an accident trying to avoid him, they "hadn't thought of that". Happily I can say the dog now has a nice fenced run area and has not been allowed to roam. Some people just don't have common sense and you have to spell it all out to them in black and white.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thing is they DO have a fenced but they still let them run the neighborhood. I left out earlier too that the first time when Jordan was following us on our walk the owner was driving her vehicle around looking for him when she saw us she asked me where I found him ::) oh he's just been following us the whole walk. She proceded to thank me and take 5 minutes to get him in the SUV because she wouldn't get her fat butt out of the car and pick him up. SU has also seen her spend 15 minutes trying to get her vehicle close enough to the mail box to get the mail without getting out then pull back into the drive way...lol LAZY!! He just wants to play with Mocha and Mocha with him but I doubt he's been vaccinated so I've been trying to keep her away from him.

I beleive there is a leash law in the county but they don't enforce it there are not enough officers. There is like a $150 or more fine to pick the dog up from AC if they get picked up. It may even be more now. They also just passed a bill that went into affect in January that they will spay/neuter any animal picked up before returning them to their owner. Neither dog is fixed. I'm not sure if they can actually seize the dog from them though unless they investigate and find creulty. Jiggy is mean though he's bit several people.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Well when we visit my parent's in Northern Virginia...there backyard is fenced in and we let the dogs out there but ocassionaly our JRT will escape out the side door when visitors come and so I immediatly go running after her...well one neighbor made the comment like "It makes no sense why some people allow their pets to run free...and I was like do you see I a trying to catch her...so my JRT goes right up tp this guy and I was like grab her and he says o I dont like dogs and kicks at my dog...I was like you are a f*cking moron and I wonder why the world is the way it is...

·
Registered
745 Posts
I would put a new collar and tags on him and make him mine. The next time she was riding around looking for him and saw me walking my lab and my new puppy I'd just say, "sorry, haven't seen him" and move on. ;)

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These dogs don't just escape their yard though they let them run they are out every single day and on the weekends they are out all day long some days. I can see a dog getting loose and having the owner look for them but that's not the case here. They do go looking for them sometimes but they let them out intentionally all the time. There is a chocolate lab in the neighborhood who is an escape artist. Everyone mistakes her for Mocha because I walk Mocha a lot so they see us. This girl doesn't get out much and doesn't have any training I've talked to her owners they have a golden too and do take care of them and walk to some times but haven't really taken the time to train them and don't have a fenced yard so they don't get much exercise.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Barbara,

That is really a shame. I think all of the things you are describing define irresponsible owners. If you can't provide food, shelter and safety as a minimum, you shouldn't have the animals. I would also include love in there.

I must say that in my experience there are many more dogs running lose and stray in the south than in the north. Just my experience. We travel to Tennessee often and see too many dogs out on the highways. :'(

Unfortunately it sounds like people are more willing to shell out the money to AC to get their dogs back, or let them be hit by a car rather than put some money or time into training and fences. :mad:

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know it aggervates me so much. They would be good dogs I've thought about getting Jordan myself and keeping him but there is a slight chance we'll take in my cousin's black lab (she's going through a divorce) and We're wanting to have a baby soon so it wouldn't be wise right now.

SU said he saw 2 dead dogs on the side of the road this morning on his way to a job out of town one was a yellow lab :'(.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
People suck..... :(...I feel sorry for the dogs.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Things like this just make my blood boil. They are like children...have no choice about the environment they are in and have to pay a huge price sometimes. They are truly at our mercy. Some people have no feeling for anything living...I'd better stop now.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is one about an hour from here (Lexington, KY) but not in Louisville. I had notified them a while back about another lab puppy we had taken to AC because he was running loose all day with another dog with no collar or anything. They didn't even respond to my email. :-\ Someone on here that has contact with one of the people who run it said that they are in contact with Metro AC weekly so they should be notified if they are about to be put down. Hopefully that's the case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have a neighbor that lets all 3 of their dogs run around without a leash or chain or any restraints and the little chihuahua has even biten people and it takes them an hour at times to find their dogs but the second our dog is not tied up (no fences we live in the country with 4 neighbors lol) even tho we are outside during those rare times they call the cops and our dog never even left our property unlike theirs. Some people have no common courtesy nor respect for their neighbors. SMH what do ya do tho?!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah or just a long tie out.

I could let Ruby run and she would come back someday / sometime but who knows in what condition or with what.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts