Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been "talking" to Rocket, and he's been "talking" back. We have great fun and he gets real excited as we go back and forth. He "mfrfmwhffmrlfw woof woof mflrhwrwrffflwwrmm woof 's" and I do it back to him. When my son gets involved it's total chaos as we make a lot of noise.

Obedience trainer says we should (and I quote) NEVER let our dog talk back to us.

He's not really talking back, we're having fun.
I do notice he talks to me like this (minus barking) when he's trying to get my attention, like to go outside when he's has to poop, and when he wants me to hurry up with the leash.

What do y'all say?

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Zoe is a mute. Heck, I can't even make her speak on command. ::)

She's also quite good at playing deaf too.

Must be fun for you and your family. :)

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Morgan and I always talk to each other - Harley not so much - but I have actual conversations, and Morgan tends to make gutteral dog sounds back - consequently, he knows alot of words and what they mean...and I know alot of sounds, and what they mean!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I say your trainer has no sense of humor. :p :D

I talked to Crash a LOT. It was one of our very special things we did together. I could tell when he was in the mood for a conversation: He would prop his head up on my knee and look into my eyes. Then I would whisper, "Crash, what is it? Do you want to tell me something?" He would pause, and then start with what you describe: "Rrrrrrrmwwwww rfrufffuff." We would go back and forth like that until he got bored. I never got bored first. ;) That was big fun for me!

Simon is a talker too...but if I am honest, I do have to admit that he does seem to be more of a back-talker. Crash would just do this when it was quiet and there was nothing else going on. Simon does it for attention. ::) But I still think it's cute - can't help it! :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, Lucy is quite vocal! Especially during our morning snuggle time and after waking up from a nap. If I could get her to do it on command, that would be even cooler, but right now I think she's usually asking for more love, more rubs, nose scratching, you name it, she wants it rubbed!

I just love it and wouldn't trade it for the world!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BoatDog said:
he knows alot of words and what they mean...and I know alot of sounds, and what they mean!
....way cool.

AngusFangus said:
I say your trainer has no sense of humor. :p :D

Simon is a talker too...but if I am honest, I do have to admit that he does seem to be more of a back-talker. Crash would just do this when it was quiet and there was nothing else going on. Simon does it for attention. ::) But I still think it's cute - can't help it! :D
Well, she definitely has zero sense of humor and no flexibility, that's for sure - although she's an excellent trainer.

I worry that Rocket will become a backtalker. And I think it's cute, too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I talk yo sami all the time, especially first thing in the morning when she jumps up on the bed we lay around and chat while I'm giving her some scratches... Just as long as you can control how much or how loud they are I think it's ok...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I play "catch me if you can" around the sectional couch or table(same game HE likes to play when he has something he shouldn't), where Chuy chases me....when he finally catches up to me, and becomes VERY very vocal, letting out the sounds you've described. It goes on and on for 5-10 seconds, and for the life of me i can't figure out what he's trying to convey to me.

He's so vocal, and i don't know if he's super excited, or mad that i run away from him, or frustrated that he had to catch me,confused (Not to hijack thread but i've been wanting to post about this, if you have ideas, please feel free to PM me!)

but it sure makes me laugh when the talk!

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I love talking to mine also. When they do sass me, I either tell them to "Watcher yer mouth" or Are you sassin me?? They settle right down and we continue the conversation in a more civil manner. ::) ;D ;D ;D
Wouldn't trade it for the world!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DFWLab said:
I play "catch me if you can" around the sectional couch or table(same game HE likes to play when he has something he shouldn't), where Chuy chases me....when he finally catches up to me, and becomes VERY very vocal, letting out the sounds you've described. It goes on and on for 5-10 seconds, and for the life of me i can't figure out what he's trying to convey to me.

He's so vocal, and i don't know if he's super excited, or mad that i run away from him, or frustrated that he had to catch me,confused (Not to hijack thread but i've been wanting to post about this, if you have ideas, please feel free to PM me!)

but it sure makes me laugh when the talk!
I have no idea. But it sure sounds like fun. I'm kinda thinking he probably thinks it's a game either way. I think it's cool.....

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Tucker will talk when we get home from work. We let him out (he zooms out for the quickest pee EVER) and comes back in - it is at this point he wants to leave the house and go to the park or for a walk and he wants to go IMMEDIATELY. It is so funny he will gggrrllnnmmmghh and huff and puff with impatience. We laugh hysterically and say 'okay, we're coming just let us get some comfy shoes on!!' That is the only time he ever makes noises.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tuckersmom said:
Tucker will talk when we get home from work. We let him out (he zooms out for the quickest pee EVER) and comes back in - it is at this point he wants to leave the house and go to the park or for a walk and he wants to go IMMEDIATELY. It is so funny he will gggrrllnnmmmghh and huff and puff with impatience. We laugh hysterically and say 'okay, we're coming just let us get some comfy shoes on!!' That is the only time he ever makes noises.
yea, that's exactly how it is at our house. They're like little kids.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Rush talks to me sometimes and Boo is a big talker. I wouldn't want it any other way. It is so cute and it's fun for us. Sometimes Rush gets sassy and all I have to say is 'that sounds like sassing to me' and she takes a more normal tone of voice. Aren't they amazing. ;D

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Sometimes Sundance will turn a yawn into an extended "AAAAA-WWWW--GARARARARARARAR" while SU and I are talking, like he doesn't want to be left out of the conversation. It always cracks us up.

We also once jokingly howled while playing with him to see if he'd join in, and he made a bizarre growly, gargling sound. Kind of like he was trying to speak. Poor guy looked so frustrated that he couldn't howl. Funny how it does seem like he wants to talk at times, though.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
tuckersmom said:
That's exactly the same with my two and Jasper has his own special dance which involves dancing on his back legs and wiggling his hips !

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I dunno if you saw this in my previous post in another topic, but I talk to Apollo ALL the time....and he talks to me. I LOVE it. I don't see anything wrong with it. He NEVER barks and is only vocal with me when he's in the mood. I love coming home after a long day and sitting online and 'talking' to my doggy. Here is a clip of us talking!
(don't freak if all you see is black. I only recorded the SOUND of him talking, not the actual image) http://apollopuppy.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=talk_to_me

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
That's exactly the same with my two and Jasper has his own special dance which involves dancing on his back legs and wiggling his hips !
LOL! Colin, Tucker does the same thing. We call it the 'happy dance' and we sing a song about it ... yes, we have made up a song about the happy dance :-[ Tucker is our hobby.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts