Just Labradors banner

About a 3 on the PANIC meter

666 views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Samson 
#1 ·
Had a chest X Ray on January 5 prior to out patient knee surgery on January 8. When the anesthesiologist stopped by just before the surgery she mentioned in passing there was a spot on my lung that was probably nothing. She spent a lot of time trying to convince me it was nothing but get it checked out. This was how my Dad found out he had lung cancer: pre op screening for back surgery.

Knee surgery went fine. Been using a cane since Sunday. Not dancing on tables yet but am getting around OK. I sometimes forget my cane.

I finally got in to see my doctor for a CT referral this morning. Ten days after the X ray. Upper right lung. 9 mm nodule, or 9 cm nodule can't remember which. 9 is big enough to freak me out. Heck A spot of undetermined size is enough to smash the panic button. Doctor says they are usually NOT cancer. So the referral has been made. I should find out by Friday when the CT is. Why could they not just have made the referral last week over the phone? Maybe because it is no big deal. Don't know.

#8 ·
Paddysmom said:
Try not to panic, Andy. If doc had even the slightest notion there was anything suspect he'd have you in for a scan ASAP.
But we'll all pace pace pace with you anyway. :-*
I agree, if the doc was at all concerned, he'd have had it checked out immediately. The waiting and not knowing is the worst, though. We're here with you.

#11 ·
Thanks Everybody
The Pre Op stuff was arranged by the surgeon's office. An Oh by the way is sometimes sent to the primary care provider. Surgeon's office has not been helpful. Will be dealing with that issue at my follow up next week. Both the surgeon and my doctor are affiliated with the hospital where the X ray was taken.

I don't smoke. Way back when I was a cute wittle kid, and that was a very long time ago, both my folks smoked a lot. They both quit. Dad is the 60's, Mom in the early 70s.
Dad worked at an asbestos plant for a couple of years as a mechanical engineer. He used to bring scrap pieces of stuff home that I played with. I also was exposed to asbestos covered wiring when I was working in the theater industry. So I am a bit spooked.

#14 ·
Sending good thoughts that it's nothing.

About 2 years ago, my stepmom told me that my dad had a spot on his lung. He had made her promise that she wouldn't tell anyone, but she felt his kids should know. I was so scared at the time. His doctor said it was probably nothing serious, and my dad was going to have it checked again a few months after his wife told me about it. I haven't heard anything since, and he's still in good health.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.