Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the vet a while ago. Took forever because they didn't have my appointment in the system.. that's the third time this has happened!

So we waited 45 minutes, talked to the student, waited a while, then saw the vet. It has to come out. :( They said it would probably run about $350.

Is that pretty reasonable? I am taking her to the MSU teaching hospital. I have to check my schedule and figure out when I can take her in. They only do them on Wednesdays..

But other than that, she is perfect. She's gained weight, about 4lbs, since last time, which is really good! She's now tipping the scales at 46.5lbs, which is really good for her. She'll be 2 at the end of this month, so I think that's pretty much all she's going to be!

Abbey doesn't show any pain or sensitivity when the tooth is touched, which means that the blood vessel probably shrunk up and went inside the gums.

I've spent so much on her the past year with little issues... altogether over $1000 with this.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
You are taking her to a good place. The price is on the high side, not a lot, verses here. I believe the largest portion of the cost is the anesthesia. Why can't they just sit in the chair, get a shot of Novocaine, have the tooth pulled, and be done with it like us?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That sounds about right, Justine. That's about what they quoted me to have Frankie's molar out (which I haven't done yet :eek: ).

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Poor Abbey. My parents' ACD has many broken teeth - she was like that when they adopted her, but they vet didn't recommend taking them out unless they caused her any problems. She's 11 now and still doing fine, so if finances are any issue, I wouldn't worry about this too much.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poor Abbey. My parents' ACD has many broken teeth - she was like that when they adopted her, but they vet didn't recommend taking them out unless they caused her any problems. She's 11 now and still doing fine, so if finances are any issue, I wouldn't worry about this too much.
Yeah, I've been considering it, but since there was pulp showing and there is an opening in the tooth, I don't want to chance infections. If it had just nicked the tooth and hadn't hit the blood vessel, I probably would have opted to leave it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I was surprised (when Dee had her little broken tooth pulled last summer) that she seemed as out of it when I picked her up as she did when I had her spayed. It seemed like such a small thing and yet she was really groggy right through that day after having it done in the morning. I guess they still have to use the same anesthesia.

I wouldn't have left it as is though....because dogs don't always show that they are in pain. Labs in particular can be very stoic in this regard. I figure if the pulp is showing at all, it has got to hurt! Plus my Vet said that it could get infected and cause major problems.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Yeah, I've been considering it, but since there was pulp showing and there is an opening in the tooth, I don't want to chance infections. If it had just nicked the tooth and hadn't hit the blood vessel, I probably would have opted to leave it.
Isn't there something they could seal the opening with, since it is one of the small front teeth and not a molar? I would think there would be something they can use, sort of like a filling, to just seal it (after cleaning it).

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isn't there something they could seal the opening with, since it is one of the small front teeth and not a molar? I would think there would be something they can use, sort of like a filling, to just seal it (after cleaning it).
The problem is, is that the tooth is really jagged and it would probably get stuck on something later. :(

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Maddy had a chipped tooth that showed red. The vet checked her and decided it wasn't causing pain and didn't need to come out. That was over 3 years ago, and no infection, no problems, nothing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts