Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked Abbey up from the vet a while ago. She's still very sleepy and groggy from the anesthesia, but she's doing okay... definitely has the "pitiful" look down!

It was supposed to cost close to $400, but it ended up being a lot easier and quicker than first thought, and they cleaned her teeth for free, so it ended up being $183! :eek: It's hard to believe that it cost $125 for the anesthesia, $25 for the antibiotic and pain meds, and the rest was just a little tiny bit to actually remove the tooth.

She has one stitch in there, the kind that dissolves on it's own, which I hope won't stop her from eating.

I gave her a little bit of meat when she got home and she ate that okay, but I'm just worried about the hard kibble. We'll see how that goes! I can always wet it a bit to make it softer. It's not one of the big teeth or a molar, so I don't think it will make much of a difference now that it's gone.

The tooth was pretty much gone, all the way down to the gumline. There was a piece of tooth barely hanging on, which must have moved around all the time. Can't believe it didn't phase her!

Here's a picture of her with her new bunny! It honks like a duck and it was on sale!

Tooth pictures:

This one is how it would look if it were in her mouth, looking at it straight on. The top portion above the black line is the part that was still in her gum and the bottom portion is the broken part that was exposed.

Same deal here, except this is the back portion of the tooth, that would face the inside of her mouth. You can see the black part of the tooth on the inside here, so it had started to decay and needed to come out.

Is it weird that they gave me the tooth? I think it's cool.. haha.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Glad she is home .. I'd stay with soft food for a day if it was me. One thing I can tell you is if you give her too much food this soon, you might end up seeing it again.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Thanks for the update, glad Abbey is home and doing well. By tomorrow you won't know she had anything done. I'd just be careful and not let her have anything hard to gnaw on, like a Nylabone, for a couple of days until that spot heals over. Regular food should be fine, since they don't use their front teeth to chew it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Awww...hope she recovers quickly! Of course they gave you the tooth! The tooth fairy will be coming! She might not want a decayed one though, ha ha.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Good healing thoughts for Miss Abbey! That's kewl that you got to keep the tooth. I woulda asked for it too... to be honest, I would have asked if I could have watched. lol.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good healing thoughts for Miss Abbey! That's kewl that you got to keep the tooth. I woulda asked for it too... to be honest, I would have asked if I could have watched. lol.
I like teeth.. I kept all of mine, including my wisdom teeth, now I have one of Abbey's and I have one of Sylvester's teeth that he lost and I found it. :)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Aw, love the picture of Abbey and her new bunny. She looks all tuckered out from the surgery. I am sure she will be back to her typical self shortly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts