Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She had to of just done this in the past day or so. I'm not sure if she JUST did it, but if it had been like that, then she has been eating fine.

It is sensitive to the touch, since I accidentally touched it with the toothbrush before I saw it and she pulled away.

The pictures are a bit blurry, but it looks like she chipped the side of it (you can see the blood). Not a lot of actual tooth is missing, as it's one of the smaller teeth between the canines.

And there is nothing funky going on with her gums. They are weird colored normally with black spots.

Obviously going to call the vet. What do you think they will suggest? Complete removal/root canal or do you think they could just patch it up?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Poor Abbey! No idea what the vet will say, since it's sensitive. Jazzy chipped the ends of two canines, but they don't bother her, so our vet said just watch her.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Aw....poor Abbey. Abby broke the tip of her upper canine chewing on a Nylabone. Vet said to just watch it since there was no blood nor was there any root exposed. So far, so good for her. Let us know what your vet says.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Ouch, poor thing! Hopefully she will be ok and stay out of pain until Thursday.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Dee broke that exact tooth awhile back. The pulp was showing slightly with hers too, and our Vet recommended removing it. He said that it could be painful (obviously) and also that it could get infected if left as is. Really the only options were removal or root canal. I asked if there was any way to patch it and my Vet said it wouldn't last. It's such a tiny tooth that we just had him pull it. It healed quickly. I felt bad as she has such beautiful teeth. :)

Best Wishes to Abbey.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Awww poor baby girl. :(

I think the vet might suggest removal of it. Emma cracked one of her teeth in December and I noticed it the same way as you did, when I brushed her teeth.It was one of the bigger teeth and the crack was all the way up in her gum. She also ate and drank just fine. It was only when I touched it she reacted. She was ok until I got an appointment a few days later. And after that it took a week or so until it was removed.

Good thoughts for sweet Abbey.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
For what it is worth, Hershey Kisses has no upper incisors. All 6 are gone. Long story, but resulted from a defect in her enamel. She does not know she is any different than any other dog.

A vet dentist that wants your money could suggest a root canal or restoration attempt. Its not worth the money and additional issues downstream are likely and the tooth will go anyway. I don't mean to sound crass. I certainly was not happy when HK had her issues and wanted to do everything possible to save as many as possible. The U of MN Vets convinced me that she would not miss the teeth and they were right.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
ouch, poor Abbey.

Don't know how much extraction would cost, but a root canal is about $1500

:eek:

If they give general anesthesia, then it will probably be more than $200

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
How much is this going to cost me? $200-$300?

It's going to require a general anesthetic. If you're close enough to Lansing, you might check with Michigan State's CollVetMed Teaching Hospital. They may be much cheaper.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts