Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Human Resources today about how much extra I would have to pay per month for my health care once I get knocked down to 50% time in June. Because I have enough "full time equivalent service months" (290), I do not have to pay anything! Gah, now I really do have to decide if I want to retire and screw them, or just grin and bear it......

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I'm not one to retire in this economy since the retirees are the ones getting screwed first. Hang on as long as you can.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'd hang on, too! That's great that you wouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket! :)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I say, if you can afford to retire, DO IT!!!
Unfortunately I can not. I still have a couple years left on my house and too much credit card debt. My brother and sister-in-law were trying to convince me to retire, and that "something" would work out, but "something" does not pay the bills unless I see it as money in hand. It would be pure spite on my part if I do retire. The hanging carrot is that they have to pay me 1/2 of my accrued sick leave (600 hours...1,200 saved) and all my vacation (220 hours) as one lump sum....right about what I owe on the house.

I do not have anyone to fall back on in case things really go south though. I think I need another "happy" pill!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Karen, hang in there.

I too want to leave my job. Been there 20 years now and truly feel like I'm doing a life sentence lately. But with the economy, I am just sucking it up, smiling, and doing what I'm told to do.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Unfortunately I can not. I still have a couple years left on my house and too much credit card debt. My brother and sister-in-law were trying to convince me to retire, and that "something" would work out, but "something" does not pay the bills unless I see it as money in hand. It would be pure spite on my part if I do retire. The hanging carrot is that they have to pay me 1/2 of my accrued sick leave (600 hours...1,200 saved) and all my vacation (220 hours) as one lump sum....right about what I owe on the house.

I do not have anyone to fall back on in case things really go south though. I think I need another "happy" pill!
In that case, keep working until you can pay off the last couple of years on the house, work on gettng the credit card debt down, and accrue more sick leave and vacation time. Then you can thumb your nose at them and have enough to pay off all your debts when you leave. Will you get retirement pay when you retire?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts