Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SU had her ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) reconstructed on Weds., the result of a nasty skiing fall in February. Since then I have gotten about five hours of sleep. For those of you who do this day in, day out, as parents or caregivers, I salute you! Because if I don't get some sleep tonight I'm going to start seeing unicorns like Neil Patrick Harris in Harold and Kumar.

The first two nights were very bad with swelling and pain. Luckily, no infection, just dressings that were too tight and lots of discomfort. It was made worse because the stupid hospital let her go while she was still dizzy and nauseated from the anesthesia. We live in a walk-up townhouse, with about 16 stairs to the front door. Let's just say that the trip inside, which involved scooting up the stairs on her butt, was eventful and unpleasant.

Obligatory Lab comment: Theo is very confused because he can't get in bed with mommy. When we first came in the house, he got very upset and sniffed all around her incision. Sweet boy.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Good thoughts for your SU Nathan - and much sympathy from my knee to hers. Here's hoping for a fast and uneventful recovery from here on out. I opted not to get my ACL fixed many moons ago, and from the sounds of it, I might just be glad I didn't....

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Nathan quit yer whinin' and be a good SU and smile as you help her.;)

Good luck to her and you both, tell her to quit doin' such dangerous things and take up chasin' tornados like me, it is much safer than skiing.;)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hoping for a fast recovery! I was so glad that when DH had his foot surgery we were no longer in the two story condo - that would have been hell.

Edit to add - new mom trick - sleep when they sleep!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
:) You're a good SU Nathan. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Why didn't you carry her over your shoulder up the stairs? :p

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Sending some good healing thoughts for your SU and you. I hope you both get some sleep.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
:)

Why didn't you carry her over your shoulder up the stairs? :p
Then they'd have to hire a nurse to take care of both of them.:D

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Your poor SU! Poor you! I hope she heals up soon.

It's amazing what a lack of sleep can do to your mental faculties. I don't think I've had a good night's sleep in over a year, because of insomnia the last few months of pregnancy and having a baby in the house since. It's hard for me to think of words sometimes, or to just think, period.

edited to add: my SU doesn't deserve a shout out for lack of sleep, based on the snores I hear coming from our bedroom in the middle of the night while I'm rocking a certain baby girl back to sleep. ;)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Owwie! Hope she heals soon.
Theo is being a good PCP.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Good healing thoughts for SU, Nathan.

and good sleep thoughts for you.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Good wishes for a quick recovery, but post-knee surgery is always painful for a few days! May I add to that....it's also got a very high success rate! Hope things look up soon.

P.S. I had a partial patella removal in 1984...yep, 25 years ago....and I'm still going good.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hope she feels better soon. Hospitals seem to get you out real quick these days, or should I say the insurance companies.......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts