Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats going to happen when it all melts? I know a lot of you are used to large amounts of snow every year, in those cases I assume it usually melts off gradually and its not a problem. However alot of these places aren't used to it and when it melts it could melt fast:shocked: Just a little nervous for all of you!

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Mud or flooding. That's typically why they warn people to stay away from creeks and streams during a big melt.
The first year we had Sam, the creek in Warren Park ran very fast and deep during the spring run-off. The water was brown and Sam was smart enough not to venture into the water.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
We lucked out big time with all that we had, the ground was not really frozen when the first one hit in early DEC, all the snow isulated the ground and it never really froze, over half of at least 45 inches of snow has melted and it has all pretty much went into the ground. The creeks did not rise enough to notice.

And even better for a lot of my friends, can you say "Damned Good Wheat Crop."

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
What's been said. It really depends on how fast spring arrives. Nice and slow, the melt is gradual and flooding may be avoided. A rapid malt and all the rivers and stream will flood.

The Red River which form the border between MN and the Dakotas flows north to Hudson Bay. Fargo/Moorhead are built in the ancient river bed. Flowing north, menas that when the snow melts from the south, it flows north into the frozen river. That is called a flood. The area has pretty much been warned that the cities will have to be evacuated because the flood this year is almost certain.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
We normally get at least100 inches a year in the valley and about 150-200 in the hills.

What makes our area different than those getting the heavy snows this year is everything is designed for that. We have wide shoulders on our roads to put the snow during the winter. When spring rolls around we have drainage ditches designed to handle the run off. Most of our roads in low lying areas are raised.

We still get flooding from time to time. We still get ice jams that back up swollen creeks and rivers. It depends on how fast things melt and how much rain we get in the spring.

And of course mud. I have a mud room in my house. Most older homes have mud rooms. not having a mud room is a demerit when trying to sell a home. This is probably why the tradition of taking off shoes when entering someones home comes from. We have mud every spring and every fall. I have 10 old bath towels just for the dog paws I think I have close to 10 welcome mats too. The ceramic in my mudroom is the color that hides mud. I have painted the mudroom walls a light brown, very washable paint. I have a hot and cold running water spigot in my mud room. I have a drain in the floor of my mud room. So yeah we get mud.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Another problem, when it melts slowly, then freezes at night, ice builds up at the edge of the roof, water backs up under shingles into the house.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
We still have frozen ruts in the driveway from when the snow melted turned the ground to a bottomless mud pit. When it thaws out....back to mud.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts