Just Labradors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new fault was recently discovered around Little Rock. The location of the actual fault is about 4 hours north-west (~245 miles) of our town. Is that close enough that we should be looking into adding earthquake insurance? Hopefully nothing will ever happen with it, but 4 hours seems kinda close (I don't know much about earthquakes though). I'd rather pay for the additional insurance than to be out our home or a lot of home repairs should one happen.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
As a Californian, and a lover of the little shakes, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Even a major quake will do little if any damage 245 miles away. Certainly not enough to do any structural damage to your home. Frankly, at 245 miles I'd be surprised if you had a book come off a shelf.

Earthquake insurance is very expensive and even if offered where you live, and it's possible that it might not be since there is no real threat, it would be money down the drain.

How far are you from the New Madrid?

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New Madrid is far enough away that we were told we didn't need to purchase earthquake insurance when we bought our home. It's in Missouri, and we're in north-central MS so it's a few hours away.

I'm glad 245 miles is far enough away. I wasn't sure because of the soil type in the Delta region (it's pretty much just flood-plains). Our soil is primarily red clay. I remember a class I was in and studying about how earthquakes can travel farther/do more damage due to the soil types in the MS River delta regions. That's the only reason I'm concerned. We're not really that far from start of the Delta regions.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Fascinating, Nance, thanks for the link.

BTW & FWIW, New Madrid, in Missouri and in the Bootheel, is pronouced as Noo MAD-drid (or -rid) rather than Noo mah-DRID

And a nearby town, I thinked spelled Haiti, is pronounced HAY-TIE with almost equal stress on both syllables.

I spent a couple summers living near New Madrid and working (community organization) in the Bootheel with former cotton sharecroppers while I was in a summer workcamp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.