Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I really wish I hadn't looked at the pic. I hate to think of where all those doggies are going...

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Disgusting.

Can I respectfully ask why you posted it? I know it is a 'real world' issue but it seems an odd thing to post in your first thread especially considering this is a forum of dog lovers.

don't even want to think what is going to happen to those dogs!
On someones dinner plate I am sure. :'(

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Trickster said:
Disgusting.

Can I respectfully ask why you posted it? I know it is a 'real world' issue but it seems an odd thing to post in your first thread especially considering this is a forum of dog lovers.
Maybe trying to raise awareness of what is going on? Seems strange to me, too, though, without any explanation.

don't even want to think what is going to happen to those dogs!
On someones dinner plate I am sure. :'(
Dogs are not eaten in China under ordinary circumstances. (Maybe you're thinking of Korea?) The real problem is that the government is cracking down on large pets, which were not common until recently and have been deemed "bourgeois." It's disgusting and heartbreaking, and I know that there are animal rights groups inside China fighting to get the policies changed.

The Chinese government has a terribly instrumental view of animals, but there are many animal lovers in China.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Why I refuse to sell to Asia despite the many $$$ I've been offered.
My fathers old coworker breeds field trial Labs. He once had a call from a Chinese man looking for a 'field trial winning Lab' for...well, I don't even need to explain that. True story. I was absolutely horrified.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Could be Korea but the national newspaper I read has run several articles about dogs in China falling to the same fate.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Sorry, I misremembered. Dog *is* still eaten in southern China. I thought it had been banned, but that's Taiwan. (When I asked about southern Chinese food when I was in Shanghai, my host turned up her nose and said. "They eat anything that moves down there.") Here is some information about people in China who are trying to improve animal welfare: http://www.animalsasia.org/

D

·
0 Posts
The rescue I work with has had about 5 dogs that we rescued from China. The wierd thing is (this I don't understand) that they have dogs that are pets, and then they have dogs that are like cattle and are raised for their fur and for eating. I find it appaling, but that's China for you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts