Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 46" Sony Bravia LCD tv that came WITH a PS3 for $958. Walk into Wal-Mart to try to find Riley a video gaming chair and walk out with that.

Now we're having second thoughts though. Riley really wants an XBox 360 but we had told him no. Our reasoning was completely flawed though and we didn't realize it until today.

He has a PS2 and we assumed the PS3 was backwards compatible. Said it would make more sense to get that rather than get the XBox and have to start completely over with new games. Well, most people probably know what we just found out - the new PS3's do NOT play PS2 games. So the whole reason we told him he can't have the XBox now applies to the PS3!

That won't go over well! "But that's why you said I couldn't have an XBox, why is it okay for the Play Station but not the XBox?!"

So, does it change anything? The only reason we got this at all was because of the deal. We had no intention of buying a new $300 gaming system anyway. But with a new PS3 there will be no way he'll be getting an XBox before he has a job of his own!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did think about that. Unfortunately need to figure it all out in the next couple of days because we then bought PS3 games for Christmas. Gah. Why did Sony have to make it so complicated!

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Yep, sell the PS & games, buy the Xbox. But instead of ebay, I would use kijiji (craigslist, for you) you'll get a local buyer, cash in hand, and can go get the Xbox. =)

Oh, and Sony makes it complicated on purpose, to get more money out of you. You "upgrade", you have to buy all new games..

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
PS3 plays Blue Ray DVDs, Xbox does not. that's a PS3 plus.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I'm completely clueless about these things. Does it have to be an XBox, or will he still be happy with a new game system regardless?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Most of the games are the same for the systems. There's a few that are console-select, but a lot of the games play on all three. I'd hold out. XBox is going to release a new console (either next year or 2011, I believe) so maybe you can get him that one for Christmas next year if he's still set on a Xbox?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm completely clueless about these things. Does it have to be an XBox, or will he still be happy with a new game system regardless?
For his birthday in August, he put both on his wish list. Again, we had no intention of buying any, so one would think he'd be happy with either! But I know with kids it doesn't work that way. =)

Since August though, he's found out most of his friends have the XBox and that's what's made it his #1 choice.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Most of his friends have X-Box 360's because PS3's have been sooooo expensive. My kids got an X-Box 360 when they first came out, and this year asked for a PS3 . . . NO WAY! One game system is enough (they have a Wii too, so really that is 2). I think the game-quality is better on the PS3, and his friends will think it is cool that he has it (plus you get the built-in Blue Ray player).

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, according to the ad up top, we can go get a PS3 for $22.35. Everybody, quick! =)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What games do you play, Karina? I'm not a gamer, but maybe I could be persuaded. =)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I only have one game so far and it's Dragon's Age: Origins. I like it so far.

Maybe we should put our collective heads together and find something online we both like.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
omg --- BluRay DVD's on a Sony Bravia....... it's an amazing experience! Just .... beautiful (and I am not a TV girl so that is saying something)

Plus the PS3 has PlayTv that you can buy later, you can record live TV and rewind, pause etc. We have also downloaded TVersity on our PS3 and can access our computer wirelessly and watch all our movies that are on the computer through the PS3 and onto our Sony Bravia.

LOL.. I only know all this because my FH is in my ear about it because he's so in love with his PS3/PlayTV/Sony Bravia.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I would never have an Xbox 360 again, my son's got the dreaded red ring of death last year after only a short time....but long enough to be out of warranty!, aapparently after googling it it is a very common problem with them and once that red light shows up there is no way back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts