Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a link to a book from 1915 that shows breed standards of the time. It is interesting to note that Labs of that era were a bit taller and leggier. The size they give is 26" and 80 lbs. looking at the picute though it is quite obviously a Lab. Check out the other breeds.
The Labrador is on page 42

http://www.archive.org/stream/dogsofallnations00masorich#page/n0/mode/2up

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
The lab in that book looks a lot like Cybil's body shape (when she wasn't chubby).

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
That's a really cool book. :) They do look basically the same. Somehow, a little less refined...?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think everyone would recognize the lab in the pic as a lab without a problem. I noticed that Golden retrievers were not listed and the dobermans and german shephard dogs look way different.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I didn't see the GSD picture, but I like the old-style GSDs way better than this new way they're breeding with those really low-slung back hips. To me that looks so unnatural, and it makes them have a gait that looks like they think they're in trouble, or are sneaking up on something. :p

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Did you check out the Shetland Sheepdog (which looks like a Border) and the American Foxhound - which looks nothing like a Foxhound - more like a coon hound? Amazing how many breeds listed I have never heard of.

The sheer number of separate Bassett breeds in France for instance! Do you think that they are still in existance?

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Interesting! Very cute Lab. Love looking at old pics like this and see the development of different breeds. Some of them really sad...I agree with Connie. GSD (and a few others) was healthier looking back then.

But OMG look at the Corded Poodle (p54) :eek: I could pass that bearded collie and think it was a mutt and the dober for a mix! :) Some breeds has developed so much trough the decades, some hardly at all. Interesting indeed.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Wow! Thanks for posting. What a great book. Of course there is no mistaking the lab but it sure looks a lot different than my bench breed boy. Of course the lab is not nearly as different as the Bedlington terrier(when did the arched back appear?) the Shetland Sheepdog and the GSD.

It is so interesting that some breeds changed and then others did not change at all.....like the Dalmation. A gorgeous dog then and a gorgeous dog now.

How about the Russian Yellow Retriever? Looked just like a Golden to me so I googled it and found this.

http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/2009/10/27/golden-retrievers-and-yellow-russian-retrievers/

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Wow! Thanks for posting. What a great book. Of course there is no mistaking the lab but it sure looks a lot different than my bench breed boy. Of course the lab is not nearly as different as the Bedlington terrier(when did the arched back appear?) the Shetland Sheepdog and the GSD.

It is so interesting that some breeds changed and then others did not change at all.....like the Dalmation. A gorgeous dog then and a gorgeous dog now.

How about the Russian Yellow Retriever? Looked just like a Golden to me so I googled it and found this.

http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/2009/10/27/golden-retrievers-and-yellow-russian-retrievers/
Ooooo, I love the picture of the Flat-Coated on that link!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts