Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hershey Kisses DOES NOT jump on anyone or anything EXCEPT one very nice lady at the dog park.

The nice lady also has a Chocolate Lab (Jake - not Laura's Black Lab). We both carry Chuckits. I use tennis balls. She uses the nice rubberballs (red and blue by Chuckit) that have much nicer bounce and are kind of chewy that the dogs like.

If the lady has a ball in her Chuckit, HK will ignore me. She will be sitting in front of the lady ears all alert hoping for the ball to fall or be thrown. This escalates to bouncing around, even trying to hit the lady's arm with her nose. Finally, when none of this works, she will jump. If this lady does not have one of these balls, HK basically ignores her.

Okay, the only thing I have been able to do successfully is to leash up and move to a different field in the park, or just leave. I have brought the same ball to the park with me to use if the other person is there. It really doesn't matter, if the other person is there with that ball, HK goes into total focus on it.

So! What do I do to stop it?

Both of us think it is amusing, and yes we do laugh. But it also gets annoying that HK will not chase a different ball, play with other dogs, or just let us walk in peace.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Try having the woman hand you *your* chuckit and chuckit ball, in front of HK, and then you throw the ball. See if that makes a difference in how HK acts.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
It's just that ball? Wonder if you trade balls what she'd do. I have no answer, but there's obviously something special about that ball.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's just that ball? Wonder if you trade balls what she'd do. I have no answer, but there's obviously something special about that ball.
It is that type of ball. And yes just that special rubber Chuck It ball. Not necessarily the one she brought. I picked a pair up to try to get HK to pester me and not her. Nope! Didn't work. If she has one of those balls, HK is on her case. We both think its kind of funny, although annoying. HK is really so good otherwise, she just has this fettish for that kind of ball if my DP friend has one.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
hmm maybe its the way your friend acts when she is obsessed over getting the ball from her?
Does she make eye contact with HK and talk to her all hyper and laughs and such? Maybe move her hands around with the ball in it?

Buck won't leave one of my aunts alone and constantly begs for food from her. She created the situation by a) always feeding him treats no matter how he is acting b) making eye contact and getting all hyper and excited and talking to him in a high pitch voice c) when she has had enough she just keeps telling him to go away
Basically she gives him attention for his misbehaviour. Positive attention or negative attention is still attention and that is what he is seeking and receiving. Ignoring would be the best way to stop him if only I could train my aunt.

If that's the case with your DP friend then the best solution is to have her consistently ignore HK and never have her throw the ball for her. Not sure what else would work if above is the case.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines as Buckyball.

Have the nice lady turn her back and fold her arms when HK starts up with this behavior. That usually sends a very clear signal to a dog. You would be surprised at the behaviors just turning your back will stop!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts