Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think most of you know that I index old newspapers when I have nothing else to to for our genealogy section. I have a microfilm reader that sits right behind my computer (I turn my chair around and I am at the microfilm reader). There are some really neat articles that I come across. This is one for today. :)

8 Dec 1927

A Humane Deed
It was at Hoquiam, Washington, that a common little dog, without a pedigree worth mentioning but with a broken leg, appeared in front of a hospital. He hung around the place as though he knew what he wanted, sounding an occasional faint wail of pain.

After a time he was admitted to the hospital, placed on an operating table and his leg set by one of the leading surgeons of the western coast country. The next day the dog came back, hobbling along in his splints. The leg was dressed again in correct hospital style.

The surgeon who did that act of kindness and the hospital which afforded the service to that nameless and homeless pup deserves more public approval and more credit than many of the notable and notorious people whose names fill the front pages of the newspapers.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
The surgeon who did that act of kindness and the hospital which afforded the service to that nameless and homeless pup deserves more public approval and more credit than many of the notable and notorious people whose names fill the front pages of the newspapers.
Here here!

I am smiling through and through. What a wonderful story!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
a common little dog,
Oh that made me think of this little Rupert Brooke poem:

"All in the town were fast asleep
When the sun came up with a shout and a leap.
In the lonely streets, unseen by man,
A little dog danced and the day began"

It always gives me a happy little tear for that common little dog.

:)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great poem Nance. I love finding obituaries for peoples dogs in the old newspapers. When there is an obituary for their pet I know just how much they they loved it!! :) I will have to find one and post it.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Obituaries for pets. I never thought of that! I wish I had done that for Crash.

I have just taken over the responsibility of our club newsletter. I started a "classified" section in the back and have been encouraging people to use it for announcements.

Last week I got an email from a member I have never met. Her Basset Hound had passed away. :'(

I was so glad she wrote to me about it so I could put it in. I emailed her back and told her how sorry I was, and asked if she would also like to include a picture of her.

Apparently this meant the whole world to her. One of the other members I know who knows this girl came up to me the other night and said how nice the girl had thought that was and she had sent word through our friend to thank me again. :angel:

People don't usually do obituaries for dogs, but why not? They are sometimes closer to us than other family members living outside our home

1 - 5 of 5 Posts