Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning early (about 8:30) I took the boys out to the college to walk off leash and play just a few minutes of fetch before it got scaldingly hot. On the path we take once there, there is a small pond fairly hidden from the road. On the side of the road, the both of them spotted a huge turtle! I have never seen one that large and was afraid it was a snapping turtle. So I got them out of there as soon as I could. As I walked up to them the turtle stuck his head out, then went back in his shell. Neither him, Tal nor Barney seemed to know what to make of eachother!

Poor thing...in his shell in the shade by the side of the road and being rudely interrupted by two Labs! Well, no one seemed worse for the wear.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
It's a good thing the turtle retreated instead of snapping out at the boys. My Doodle dog found a snapper one year and she was 15" from front to back. I carefully picked her up and took her to the pond to the side of our yard and would see her for many years after that. Her head got as big as my husbands two fists together. Then we had a big flood and the pond ran over and she was gone. She probably went into a nearby ditch and followed it to the river. She was huge, and I'd feed her hot dogs, lunch meat whatever, on the end of a stick. She would always come over to me when I showed up. I miss that ole turtle.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.:)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you made a good friend! I hope she found her way to safety.

I am really not sure it was a snapping turtle, but given its size, that is what ran thru my head. I really didn't get a good look at its face either. I think the poor turtle was afraid of them and decided just to stay inside until the left! lol.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
A smart move for both the turtle and the boys. They can deliver a nasty bite. My daughter's tortoise Edgar is here for the weekend and he has been out in the living room roaming around. He's a dinner plate sized African Spur Thigh . The girls don't quite know what to think of this walking Pith helmet. Boo is more fascinated by it than Rush.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Turtles are cool- but snappers can be nasty! The other day I was turning off a country road to our local "bar" and saw what appeard to be a HUGE leaf rustling along the road - I got out and discovered a "soft-shelled" or leatherback turtle - it was huge also! I had never seen one - it was so weird looking - the shell is soft, so when it moved, the shell "moved " too. I went on at the time, but stopped on the way back, hoping that it hadn't been run over. There was a carload of college age boys stopped and I thought "oh no - they might be hurting it" but instead one was carrying it across the road and putting it in the ditch. They were so excited to see it - too cute!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts