Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try and take Daisy to a lake that is about 15 min. from my house 3 days a week to do some swimming! Here are a few pictures from the other day:

...just keep swimming, just keep swimming (she likes to just take off and swim, she even swims under water)...

Bringing back the toy...

And we're off...

Mom, are you sure you don't want to get in too?

The water at this particular lake tends to be a bit murky, but Daisy doesn't seem to mind!

Also, I usually leave her leash on her while she swims, but I'm worried it might catch on something, what do others do? I need some type of lead on her, as sometimes she wanders off to visit people. Would a longe line be safer, if I hold onto it?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And a couple with her sister, Shadie, the mini aussie.

Shadie likes to get in the water, and will swim a bit, but really prefers to only go in so long as her feet keep touching the bottom, once she looses footing she backs up! She lets Daisy do the retrieving and then they do what I call the "hand off"--Shadie leaps over to Daisy once Daisy gets close to shore and snitches the object from Daisy! They both think its quite fun!

Beginning the hand-off:

"Shadie, you thinks they'll let us on the jet skis?"

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Looks like she has a lot of fun! How old is Daisy? I know when Sammi was younger and I took her swimming, we go at least twice a week to the river. I always made sure to have a well liked treat waiting for her, like a small piece of cheese, turkey, chicken- something that she liked better then other pup's;) Luckily she was and is very food motivated, not sure there is a lab that isn't! Now I just have some kibbles for those days she thinks about taking off, I'm glad to say its rarely needed, usually just a call and she is right by my side! Usually it gets easier the older they get.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
My pup Java loves to swim...we take her every day, she can't get enough. I keep her on a long lead when she swims as she likes to visit other people and dogs too. The lead is lightweight and has never gotten caught up on anything.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Off lead? First I would not let HK drag a lead behind her swimming because of fear of what it could be caught on. I did use a LONG (75 feet) lead when we first let her try off lead.

Letting the dog off lead depends a lot on how you view the dogs tendency to run off, how good the recall is, and the specific area. You said wander off to visit other people. Dog friendly people? People that you could call to and ask to grab the collar. Wander off to visit and come back then? You have to assess what you have, and go from there.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Looks like Daisy is having fun! I never used a lead on Libby. She's pretty good at recall and most of the places we go swimming, no one else is there.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I guess I should mention that the long lead that I use for Java is a tow-rope for tubing( or it might be a water-skiing rope, I forget now)...it weighs nothing at all and it floats on top of the water at all times, so there is no chance of it getting snagged or caught on anything underwater. Go to a marine place and get the lead rope there, then just attach a clip to one end. They sell rope that is weightless and doesn't sink, just floats on top of the water.
I feel much safer having Java on a long lead than having her off leash. She is only 6 months old and while her recall is pretty good, I don't completely trust her just yet, she's too easily distracted.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
When I take Abbey swimming, I don't use a lead.. She was good on her recall before she actually wanted to start swimming, so I didn't have to worry about it. :)

I do have a 30 ft leash that we use to practice recall, but I've never used it in water.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I use to put a line on my dogs when they swim if I do not know the area well. But I used a floating line so that it stayed on the top of the water and less chance of catching on something or tangling in their legs.

Great pics!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I should mention that the long lead that I use for Java is a tow-rope for tubing( or it might be a water-skiing rope, I forget now)...it weighs nothing at all and it floats on top of the water at all times, so there is no chance of it getting snagged or caught on anything underwater. Go to a marine place and get the lead rope there, then just attach a clip to one end. They sell rope that is weightless and doesn't sink, just floats on top of the water.
I feel much safer having Java on a long lead than having her off leash. She is only 6 months old and while her recall is pretty good, I don't completely trust her just yet, she's too easily distracted.
Fantastic idea, thank you! I'll go get one of those, in fact we may have one in our boat for our tubes/skis! Daisy thanks you too! :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Great pictures! I can really tell she loves swimming!

Thanks also for the lead suggestion. That is a great idea. Now I just need to find out where to get it. I don't trust Guthrie off lead and I would love to take him down to the river where Huckle used to swim.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts