Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Picture 10754 of the Butcher Collection,  that # here will allow you to bring it up at around 2 meg.

Family named Keyser near Westerville in Custer County Newbrassky 1888.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award98/nbhihtml/pshome.html

I've got this one kicking this on around on my other board because it has a few strange things only us historians who also dress the part will care about. ;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I love your pictures...it is one thing I look forward to on Lab forum...why does the homeowners show off their guns when they get a picture taken??

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Awright, another pic!!! Okay Glen!!! We need the "rest of the story". Gotta have that insider info.

ETA: I love the gun "rack"

G

·
The guy on top of the house looks like he wants to be on a piano singing in some Saloon. And now...the velvet sounds of Cowboy Bob.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
i thought the same thing about the guy on the roof. he must be the western equivalent to the GQ masculine man pose.

also, this picture was perfect for my 5th grade social studies lesson today on sod houses. these pics are great.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The gun and gun belt are a bit unusual on this guy.

The sweater on this guy, not what folks think they wore, but somewhat common. Can you imagine John Wayne or Tom Sellack with a sweater in a western. ;D

The mother and child have differnt styles of dress out of the same material. Not unusual, but interesting.

As for the guns, most folks were proud of them and they were a valuble tool on the frontier for both defense and hunting for food, so many had them in their pictures.

Busy at work today, stuck behind my desk doing paper work for a catalog, got on some good music (cowboy type) and everyone but a few customers are out of my hair. ;D The boss on duty today said he'd just leave me alone, be back later when I need a break. ;)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
What's the story on the hats laying in the road?
Good eye, Nance. I didn't even notice those.

Well?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jzgrlduff said:
What's the story on the hats laying in the road?
Good eye, Nance. I didn't even notice those.

Well?
You got me on why they are on the ground.???

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
You got me on why they are on the ground.
WHAT?! You're kidding?! ;D Now we need to know!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
that is a cool pic
I love all the old photos

The gun rack is great!

maybe the hats are on the groudn because they belong to the ladies
and perhaps it wasn't proper for the women to wear the hats in photos?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
maybe they are reminders of the people that were shot while trespassing on their property? :D some people put up signs, these people leave other peoples hats.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts