Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We dodged the worst of it, when I got off work at 6:15 pm Saturday I headed straight into this mess because Rita was heading to her cousins for a birthday party and Rowdy was home in the crate in the living room. Notice the street lights on, the storm is about 4 miles away.

Looking WNW from our parking lot.

Looking NW from the same place.

I tried to get pictures through the windshield when I was in the outer edge of the storm, water was curb deep and it was like 45 minutes after sunset. The worst was still west of me.

Rita was home when I got there, she headed home because the heavy part of the storm rolled over where she was going. It spawned a couple small twisters about 10 miles SW of us, dropped 2-3 inches of rain where her cosion lived in about 30 minutes, and dropped golfball size hail and bad ground strikes along I-80.

We went out there later and watched video of it, over curb deep and water coming out of the storm sewer about 12-18 inches. It floated a couple of cars down the hill.

We had one I watched on radar at work Saturday afternoon up in Custer County where those Butcher photos I post were taken. Supper cell with tornadic activity and it rolled through at about 80 mph for an hour. Don't seem to have hurt much up there, but houses can be miles apart so there ain't a lot to hit but pasture.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I can't imagine living in tornado territory. No one loves a good storm better than me, but no tornados please.

You guys all stay safe now!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
There is no way I could live in tornado alley. I am terrified of them. I can't imagine it being a regular concern. Thank goodness you are safe.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You get used to it, I'm 50 years old and have lived here all my life and yet do not know anyone who has even been hurt by one, far more folks were killed in cars this weekend I bet in Texas, Oklahomoma, Kansas, Newbrassky and South Dakota area than the tornados killed. The area they acually hit is very small compared to the land mass, the chances if you keep an eye out of getting hurt are not that great.

B

·
0 Posts
Glen that looks about like what it was here, thankfully the whirly-gigs were around us but not near us. Pleasant Hill NWS was busy issuing alerts over the Fire Dept pagers about every 10 minutes last night, dispatch could barely get a call out between them.

I've ducked into a ditch one time to get away from one when it sprung up and I was out where I couldn't get away, and when I lived in Dallas I watched the sky turn green...that sucked because I lived on the top floor of my apartment building. Other than that, I've lived in tornado alley or the outskirts of it all my life too. You do get used to it. I'm scared of em but I at least know when to run and not to stand outside like some goobers around KC!! ;)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Tulsa looks like that now. Since Saturday. It is storming nonstop with the full drama of booming thunder and spectacular lightning shows. It's dark as night at the moment with flooding rains.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
We're not really in "Tornado Alley" but these storms and tornados are frequent occurances around here in the spring as well. I know at least 3 have touch down within 50 miles of here in the last 2 years. They scare me but I would much rather be here than on the coast. A tornado can hit my neighbor and miss my house but those hurricanes wipe out everything and the water damage is just as bad.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The goods ones didn't come out, between driving, rain on the windshield and 5o-60 mph winds on the over pass over the RR, this one about 15 minutes later and a mile from home was a bit blurry. ::)

I risked going into the core because there was no siren blowing and my buddy Rowdy was in the crate in the living room and needed to be in the basement if things got worse. Till I hit the overpass I had an out if needed, but if there would have been a rain wrapped tornado undected I would have found it real quick.

B

·
0 Posts
Crikey. Those rain wrapped beasts are scary - I'm glad you didn't run into one. I know what you mean about getting home to your buddy and getting them into the basement. I'm seriously thinking about moving Billie's crate out of the office upstairs and into the basement for the summer months so we don't have to worry about that in case we can't get home. It's cooler down there anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts