Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It felt strange pulling up and only seeing three horses in the paddock. I was a bit pissed that they put Toby back in with Gracie. Gracie doesn't let Toby eat his share of the hay. I told him that hopefully this time next week he'll be in his new home and maybe the new horses will be nicer to him.

I haven't worked with him all winter due to Bonnie saying he needed time off (found out it's the worst thing I could have done), so I took his headstall out with me along with his new bit. It's a transition curb that still allows lateral movement but gets him used to the curb bit in his mouth. He did great!!! The second I picked up the rein, he gave to the bit without hardly any pressure, which got him released immediately.

Anyway, here are the photos.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Toby looks grand! I can't wait for you to move him and I hope the new barn owners will give you lots of helps and that Toby will be happy there.

When we had old Jesse put down, Gandy screamed and carried on, I took her up to the body then and let her smell Jesse. It was sad. Gandy put her nose right on Jesse's nose and stood there for about a minute, head bowed, eyes half closed, as if she were saying a long goodbye. After that, she was fine and stopped screaming.

They did the same when I had my old mare put down, let Gandy go over and sniff her. I just couldn't be there for that (although I was right inside the house but I had already said my goodbyes to Sea and just couldn't watch them put her down).

Anyway, poor Gandy has lost two friends, and it is very sad, but they seem to bounce back quickly.

I'm sure Toby will make new friends at the new barn!

What kind of bit did you get (pictures). Gandy absolutely hates a curb, so I put her back in the western snaffle and just putz around with her. She's more comfortable. It's basically a normal o-ring snaffle, but the 0's are decorative with a pattern stamped on them.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Similar to this one, a loose-shanked curb.

We'll see how he does with it. If once I get on his back he doesn't respond, then I'll go back to the loose ring snaffle or full cheek snaffle.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Just be careful with a curb bit. My instructor always said that if you use too much pressure with a curb, you are asking your horse to rear.
You might ask the new barn owners about it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.