Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laurie (Figalily-the eve of her gallbladder surgery) and shared my story (well only part of it) about my reaction to general anesthesia. For those of you that did not read the post or my response I wrote that I wake up and usually threaten the doctors with their life. What I didn't tell at the time is why I do this!!

The truth is that when I begin to regain consciousness my body goes through very strange sensations from the surgery, only now I'm awake...and I feel each and every cut as though it's being done at this time even though it's post surgery. Extremely unpleasant to say the least, I forgot the name they gave this rare reaction.

I've only had two surgeries with general anesthesia, same reaction both times. You can just imagine how frightened I was about the colonoscopy...I did warn the doctor before scheduling...he said it would likely be different since this was "twilight" and not general anesthesia. He was right thank goodness.

Anyone else have strange reactions to anesthesia??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,765 Posts
There are people who react to the paralytic, but not the anesthetic so they feel everything, but can't move. That's one reason they give stuff like Ketamine which is supposed to induce amnesia. I've never heard of your situation - not that I should since I'm not a doctor.

The first time I was ever put under general anesthesia was this summer for a hernia repair. I was scared to death I'd be one of those people who had a bad reaction. I remember hearing my heart monitor spike right as I was going under - I guess I was fighting it being afraid of going under. Fortunately, I didn't had any reactions to the anesthesia, but they did find out I have an allergy to the antibiotic Keflex.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,781 Posts
i just get super nauseous and have a really hard time waking up.. plus it takes me longer than normal to feel normal again.. but nothing major really.. just very tired for a longer period of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,144 Posts
When I was a kid, I woke up during my adenoidectomy. I only remember bits and pieces of what happened during surgery, but I certainly remember the anesthesiologist personally coming to me later to emphasize that I had to warn my doctors prior to surgery if I should ever need to be under general anesthesia again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,146 Posts
kelli said:
i just get super nauseous and have a really hard time waking up.. plus it takes me longer than normal to feel normal again.. but nothing major really.. just very tired for a longer period of time.
Same except for the nausea. I don't get nauseous. They knocked me out to take out my wisdom teeth and I was out for an hour longer than they expected. I remember counting back from ten thinking this isn't even working, I don't feel tired. I think I got to 7 and I was out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,007 Posts
Only problem I've ever had was the first two times, waking up and the danged nurse trying to put Vasoline on my lips, I hate the smell and taste of Vasoline, plus I don't like greasy goop on my lips. Both times I tried to hit the nurse. They now put that on my chart and the last 8 times no problem, they wait till I'm awake enough to ask if I want a damp rag on them.

No nausa ever, fact is by the time I get back to my room I want food cause a lot of times it's been a week since I ate. Most often can by eating a little and proving that it will stay down, get a fairly decent meal in a few hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,457 Posts
I have no problems with anesthesia whatsoever. I wake up feeling like I've been asleep, and I'm thirsty and hungry. The only time I ever had a problem after surgery was after my appendix burst, and they had put a naso-gastric tube in during the surgery and left it in for 24 hours after surgery. I was so pissed about that **** thing, and when they went to take it out, the stupid doctor pulled it about half-way and stopped. It was the most horrible feeling I have ever had in my life!! The Doc was standing at my right side next to the bed. I reached through the bars and grabbed his crotch and told him he was NOT going to hurt me like that again. :mad: The attendants came in and strapped me down so they could finish taking the thing out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,007 Posts
AmazonGold said:
I have no problems with anesthesia whatsoever. I wake up feeling like I've been asleep, and I'm thirsty and hungry. The only time I ever had a problem after surgery was after my appendix burst, and they had put a naso-gastric tube in during the surgery and left it in for 24 hours after surgery. I was so pissed about that **** thing, and when they went to take it out, the stupid doctor pulled it about half-way and stopped. It was the most horrible feeling I have ever had in my life!! The Doc was standing at my right side next to the bed. I reached through the bars and grabbed his crotch and told him he was NOT going to hurt me like that again. :mad: The attendants came in and strapped me down so they could finish taking the thing out.
Those NG tubes are so much more fun to have put in while you are awake, I've had a great time all 7 times. :laugh: :no: :vomit:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,812 Posts
kelli said:
i just get super nauseous and have a really hard time waking up.. plus it takes me longer than normal to feel normal again.. but nothing major really.. just very tired for a longer period of time.
Ditto. I've had 6 major surgeries and worry each time about some of the things that can go wrong, but the worst I've experienced is nausea.
If they know you have this problem, can't they give you something to counter act it? It must be frightening to know it will happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,007 Posts
Linda1 said:
kelli said:
i just get super nauseous and have a really hard time waking up.. plus it takes me longer than normal to feel normal again.. but nothing major really.. just very tired for a longer period of time.
Ditto. I've had 6 major surgeries and worry each time about some of the things that can go wrong, but the worst I've experienced is nausea.
If they know you have this problem, can't they give you something to counter act it? It must be frightening to know it will happen.
Most often they give Reglan (sp) in the IV, for nausa in the hospital, I get tons of that before surgery and I would guess that's what they give after if you need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,457 Posts
delmonico said:
AmazonGold said:
I have no problems with anesthesia whatsoever. I wake up feeling like I've been asleep, and I'm thirsty and hungry. The only time I ever had a problem after surgery was after my appendix burst, and they had put a naso-gastric tube in during the surgery and left it in for 24 hours after surgery. I was so pissed about that **** thing, and when they went to take it out, the stupid doctor pulled it about half-way and stopped. It was the most horrible feeling I have ever had in my life!! The Doc was standing at my right side next to the bed. I reached through the bars and grabbed his crotch and told him he was NOT going to hurt me like that again. :mad: The attendants came in and strapped me down so they could finish taking the thing out.
Those NG tubes are so much more fun to have put in while you are awake, I've had a great time all 7 times. :laugh: :no: :vomit:
UGH! I have a hard enough time when the ENT guy pokes a camera into my nose and down my throat, I can't imagine being awake for the NG tube insertion! :vomit:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,007 Posts
AmazonGold said:
delmonico said:
AmazonGold said:
I have no problems with anesthesia whatsoever. I wake up feeling like I've been asleep, and I'm thirsty and hungry. The only time I ever had a problem after surgery was after my appendix burst, and they had put a naso-gastric tube in during the surgery and left it in for 24 hours after surgery. I was so pissed about that **** thing, and when they went to take it out, the stupid doctor pulled it about half-way and stopped. It was the most horrible feeling I have ever had in my life!! The Doc was standing at my right side next to the bed. I reached through the bars and grabbed his crotch and told him he was NOT going to hurt me like that again. :mad: The attendants came in and strapped me down so they could finish taking the thing out.
Those NG tubes are so much more fun to have put in while you are awake, I've had a great time all 7 times. :laugh: :no: :vomit:
UGH! I have a hard enough time when the ENT guy pokes a camera into my nose and down my throat, I can't imagine being awake for the NG tube insertion! :vomit:
tis a little bit funny, they grab a tape measure and measure from yer nose to yer belly button, then they measure the tube and put a mark on if, of course from when the grease the tube up till they get it in to the mark is no fun. Then the get a big syringe and push air down the tube and listen, tells them if they got it in the right place. :whistle:

ER doctor one time told me I was the first patient he ever had that came in and told him he needed to put one in. :suspious: I just knew it was needed, took him 10 minutes to decide I was right. :laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,352 Posts
I had several surgeries to reconstruct my shoulder support after a car accident. I get sick waking up but that is no problem Barbara started giving me stuff to prevent it even before I woke up. But one day right before my 4th surgery at lunch I mentioned how much I was dreading not sleeping and all the symptoms I had post op with the pain pills. I mean I go for days never sleeping more than 15 minutes at a time and being a first class ***** because I am so gittery(not my normal nature) due to a reaction to the pain pills. I thought she was going to come across the table in the restaurant and smack me. Come to find out it is not the pain pills but the anesthesiology drugs and I had never told her. It is a rare reaction but it does happen. After that she started giving me a different drug combo in surgery and it hasn't been nearly as bad but I still have a little trouble. Plus she gives me a sleeping pill to take each night for 7 days so I get enough rest at least at night.

I also know I need to start taking stool softeners the day of surgery cause all those drugs cause me to plug up. (TMI)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
I do okay, except it does take a long time to feel like myself again. Poor SU wakes up swinging at the nurses! :surprise:Of course they strap him down which makes him even more angry until he is fully awake.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top