Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Corona will be 3 this April and we would like to get her a friend (brother or sister) we just don't know what sex to get. Not sure as to what is better as her being the only dog for this long. don't want fights or aggressivness. any opinions on this?? thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
The safest choice would be a boy. Chances are you could get a girl and not have any problems at all, it's just more likely to have conflict between same-gender dogs as opposed to opposite-gender.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Yup boys are pretty darn sweet! My girls at least do have 'attitude', but for the most part get along with each other!

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
It really depends on the personality of your current dog. If she is easy going, laid back and has a great temperament, getting a dog or ***** shouldn't matter. On the other hand, if she has any temperament concerns (particularly any issues with other dogs), male/female combo's work best.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My girls are around 11 months apart (13 months and 10 weeks) and are inseperable, they love each other to pieces! But Rudder is VERY laid back and easy going so I am sure that plays a part in their getting along. My little Scupper is one ball of spunk at times.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Was the thinking that if you have a female already then it's best to get a male, or if you have a male it's best to get a female because of potential same sex aggression was based on intact dogs or not? Does anyone know?

I personally think it depends on the temperament of each dog in the pack, like Trickster said.

However, I'd have to vote male just because I've got two and they're the bestest goobers ever. ;)

And, for what it's worth, my older dog was an only-child for almost 5.5 years before his little brother came along, and after a week or so of sorting things out, they're now best buddies.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I'd only ever had boys for over 30 years, then at the end of last year we added a little girl to the mix and all have got along fine, my boys are all neutered which obviously helps, though there is still a definate pecking order and the babies know to mind their manners with the senior.

They sort it out between themselves in my experience, good luck with whatever you decide, looking forward to pics~:)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
While I don't think same gender conflict is a real issue in the breed (having had a total of 6-8 bitches in a house at one time and not one problematic outburst) but you do have to take in consideration your dogs individual personality.
Having said that....I'd go for a male - NEUTERED OF COURSE.
If I had to go back to having JUST pets and not showing or breeding and I had to limit myself to two dogs I would ever do boy/girl or just boys I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts