Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may remember, we have had a few issues with Simon and his crate. The issues being, he doesn't like it much. ::) So we started letting him stay out in the kitchen. He likes this much better! ;D But, we are now faced with a different set of issues...

Simon has taken to countersurfing while we are away. :mad: We have tried to be really good about pushing things WAY back, and not leaving any chocolate covered cherries out ;), but yesterday our efforts were in vain. He managed to countersurf Kevin's new issue of Golf Magazine, and a hardcover book on Herbs I inherited from an aunt who was doing some purging. :-\

Now neither of these things was a big deal. But obviously, this behavior needs to be stopped. Somehow...

So this morning I said, "What if we set a booby trap?" :p Simon startles VERY easily. I was guessing, hoping, that maybe some kind of loud noise timed just right might do the trick. Sadly he doesn't countersurf when we are home and could correct him on the spot. So, booby trap it must be.

I placed a magazine (his favorite thing to countersurf) on the edge of the counter, just enough peeking over the edge to be *really* tempting. Then on top of the magazine I put a small aluminum bucket we used when Angus was a puppy. The idea being, he grabs the magazine, and the bucket comes crashing down, making a hell of a lot of noise without being dangerous at all.

Well, Kevin went home at lunch and said my booby trap had been sprung, the magazine was on the floor but untouched, and Simon was hiding in the bathroom. :-[ Poor Simon! I really hate to do something like that to him. Maybe I made my point, though. :-*

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Good job! ;D Some times you've got to scare the beejeezes out of them for their own good.

Labby Laura has mentioned putting cookie sheets along the counters just hanging over the edge. Those would make quite a racket too.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think your technique has worked. Now if Siman ever comes out of that bathroom I'm sure he will avoid trying to read your magazines. ;D

·
Registered
533 Posts
rottnlabs said:
Labby Laura has mentioned putting cookie sheets along the counters just hanging over the edge. Those would make quite a racket too.
lol. i may try this just for fun. ;D

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cookie sheets!! I'm on it :police:

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Poor Simon...but it sounds like you've cured him of countersurfing, so it's all good. :D

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
You know he's calling his analyst right now to 'talk through the trauma.' And that he's justifiably going to stick YOU with the bill. You know that, right?? ;D ;D ;D

I'm sure Angus was in the background saying, "Don't do it pal-o-mine. Dooooon't. No-no-no!! Step AWAY from the magazine, Simon. Simon! SIMON!!!!"

Simon : Once burned; twice learned.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
It'll be interesting to see if the surfs again.

Did Kevin reset the trap before going back to work?

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Poor Simon....but I hopes it worked. I have also seen two-faced tape used for this also. I never tried it but it's sticky & it is supposed to discourage counter surfing. I saw it in the Drs. Foster & Smith book. Has anyone tried it?

Be a good boy Simon. :)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hee *booby!* hee

Linda, he did reset when he went back, so I'm interested to see if it is sprung again! We'll see how quickly Simon learns! :D

I really do feel bad about scaring him, but I have to admit when I got the email from Kevin saying, "Your trap was sprung," I couldn't help but think: He he he he. 8)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Good job Connie. I know you don't like purposely scaring Simon but I think you are on the right track.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
That was a good booby trap! Of course I would be feeling a little bad too :-\ I might have to try something like that with Brigetta (she also scares easily). Can't wait to hear updates.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the great idea. Lil surfs right in front of us. She is most assertive with her mission of counter surfing. I'm getting out the cookie sheets now... hmm... where did I place that aluminum bucket? Counter surfer police, unite!

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Awww.... poor Simon... but lesson learned!! ;)

I wonder if they generalize...? ie. Simon will now not surf magazines but will he surf other objects? Or, has the pail scared enough bejeesus out of him that he will never set paws upon the counter again? Hmm... ???

Henery was the worst little countersurfer when he was younger... I tried the booby-trapped cookie sheets with the tin of pennies on it, I tried double-sided tape (he now hates tape and any other sticky label-ish product! hee), I even tried the yelling-at-the-counter trick but to no avail. The only thing that works for Henery is to have the clearest counters in the world. ;)

Especially since he knows the jump-and-swipe-with-one's-paw maneuver. ::)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:D Felicia! Yes, the cleanest counters in the world is definitely the most foolproof approach!

Well, the second booby trap was undisturbed. ;D

I wonder if they generalize...? ie. Simon will now not surf magazines but will he surf other objects? Or, has the pail scared enough bejeesus out of him that he will never set paws upon the counter again? Hmm...
I know what you mean. I wonder too. I think with Angus, he would not generalize very well. Furthermore, if he ended up with a metal bucket on the floor it would just be "ALL-RIGHT! A NOISY PLAYTHING!"

Simon is much more sensitive. He had such issues getting in the car when we first got him, and it took FOR-ever to get him past it. Well really he's still not past it. ::) I think Simon is more cautious than Angus, and I think (hope) that one bad experience will do it. But, ya never know. I think I might also try a cookie sheet loaded with something tempting. Of course, if he braves it and gets the "reward" while we are gone, then we've undone any progress. ???

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Well, good boy Simon for not falling for your Mommy's trick again! ;)

I think he's learned. :D

Furthermore, if he ended up with a metal bucket on the floor it would just be "ALL-RIGHT! A NOISY PLAYTHING!"
You just described Henery! LOL! Then, there would follow a session of wicked butt-tucking with said object in his mouth. ::)

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Well done Connie. I hope you have cured him. I know you feel mean, but it is better than loosing your sunday roast to him.

Kassa was like Simon. Stole a loaf of bread. I frightened her and never again.

Erns is a seasoned counter surfer. He out wits us every time. I tried the baking trays, nope- good game.
Tape all along the edges. From the other room I could hear the paws sticking to the tape as he patrolled from one end to the other and back.
Mouse and rat traps. Pushes them away and got the food from them.
Tried noise. I am permantely deaf and he is still at it.

Cleanest counters. Nope. He steals the ham from the bread while I make the sandwich. Appears out of nowhere.

In our house I am thinking the only cure is not eat at home.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts