Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, you reqad that correctly. A week ago Saturday, I saw Midnight sitting over something on the dining room floor. I thought at first she had puked..so I wnet and got a paper towel and when I picked it up it was a dead bat. So. It had been -12 wind chill factor the week before, and I figure the thing froze to death and either Tal or Barney (more likely culprit) drug the thing inside.

First thing crossed my mind was rabies. I talked the =the vet Monday and they recommended Tal, Barney, and Midnight getting a rabies booster. So off to the vet all THREE of them go. All is well, and I doubt the bat had rabies, but still. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
EEK!

I had a live one in my house a couple of years ago in the mid-summer. I screamed like a little girl (at 3AM with the entire house asleep). Got next to no reaction from my intrepid husband and strapping adult sons (snore). I had to figure out how to get the thing out onto the porch. And I did. I was very, very freaked out!

Next day at dusk I left all the windows and doors open on the porch and out the freaking thing flew.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
My niece just had one in her house- has no idea how it got there, no animals to bring it in. I'd be freaked out, if you don't' know how it got in, how do you keep it from happening again:eek:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bats are scary things for sure...I sure wouldn't want to find on in my house either!

About a year and 1/2 ago my son came home and said "Mom the weirdest thing just happened...a bat flew in my car!" To make a long story short while he was driving home from work one night, he had his driver's window open and a bat flew in, hit the side of his head, flew around the inside of the car, flopped into the passenger seat, that's when he finally could tell it was a bat...meanwhile he is trying to pull off the side of the road. He said then all of a sudden it came to, flew up into the other side of his face and out the window. He thought cool...I thought rabies! I called the doctor the next morning who directed me to the health department because he said he most likely would need to get rabies shots and only the health department can give those. I contacted them and sure enough he had to go through the rabies series. They said even though he didn't feel like he got bit and you couldn't see any marks, any contact with a bat is considered dangerous. Their bites could be a small as a mosquito bite, virtually undetectable. If anyone ever has to go through them they are not the nightmare they used to be....nothing to it really.

The health department said if I had the bat they could test it to see if it had rabies...if you don't then they said you have to assume the bat does have rabies and proceed with that.

Glad to hear all is well though!!!!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
They do have to assume rabies if the animal can't be tested. However, PLEASE keep in mind that bats do carry rabies, but much less frequently than racoons, rodents, stray dogs, feral cats, etc. They're very gentle, shy animals and most of the time when they fly into a house it's because they're confused and often juveniles. They're also so small that most of the time when they do have rabies, the disease runs its course very quickly and they die before having contact with humans or other animals. Yes, there are documented incidents of rabies transmission from bat, I'm not arguing that, but it's less common than most people think.

I understand not wanting them living in your home, but they're fantastic insect control (the average little brown bat eats nearly its own body weight in mosquitos a night) and they're important for polinating many night-blooming plants. Bats are really quite fascinating animals once you get past the nocturnal and not-very-pretty equals scary thing.

Guy, in your case, I'd guess the bat was hibernating somewhere nearby and probably froze to death as you're guessing. They're not active in winter. Better safe than sorry about the rabies boosters for Tal, Barney, and Midnight, I'd do the same.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
They do have to assume rabies if the animal can't be tested. However, PLEASE keep in mind that bats do carry rabies, but much less frequently than racoons, rodents, stray dogs, feral cats, etc. They're very gentle, shy animals and most of the time when they fly into a house it's because they're confused and often juveniles. They're also so small that most of the time when they do have rabies, the disease runs its course very quickly and they die before having contact with humans or other animals. Yes, there are documented incidents of rabies transmission from bat, I'm not arguing that, but it's less common than most people think.

I understand not wanting them living in your home, but they're fantastic insect control (the average little brown bat eats nearly its own body weight in mosquitos a night) and they're important for polinating many night-blooming plants. Bats are really quite fascinating animals once you get past the nocturnal and not-very-pretty equals scary thing.

Guy, in your case, I'd guess the bat was hibernating somewhere nearby and probably froze to death as you're guessing. They're not active in winter. Better safe than sorry about the rabies boosters for Tal, Barney, and Midnight, I'd do the same.
+1,000 :D Bats are very good to have around, I can;t wait until we have our own land and I can put up bat houses to attract them to the yard.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:eek: I doubt I could have picked it up...dead or not.
I first thought Midnight had hacked..but as I approached it, the lump was too big for a cat...thanksfully it was dead tho!

The vet said that we could have it tested, but it was Monday by then and it had been in my trash can. Dr. said 3 days at room temp they couldn't get a good test. If I had known what it was, I'd probably have gotten something and picked it up...paper towels or not!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts