Just Labradors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my annual check-up with my doc in January. At the time, I had a knot on my leg from walking into a piece of furniture 2-3 weeks prior. The bruise had gone away quite a bit but there was still a significant knot. I happened to ask him if I should be concerned. He said no, sometimes it just takes a while, give it X amount of time before I worried about it. The knot went away and it stopped hurting so I didn't think much of it.

But, my skin is still discolored there. Is that bizarre? Like I said, it doesn't hurt, it's not blue or purple, the skin just seems to be a darker shade there in the exact spot of the old bruise. Catches my eye as I'm getting dressed, in the shower, etc.

Should I be worried about it, you think?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I had a bruise where a ping pong table fell over on my leg. It was there for almost a year.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I still have discoloration on the inside of my knee from a car accident when I was 16. I'm now 33. I've asked a few doctors about it and all of them said it was of no concern. IT's also numb in spots.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I had my grnaddog run into me last June and had a huge knot and bruise on my thigh. I posted a picture at the time. It took about 9 months for the knot to go away. I also hit my shin bone over a year ago and still have a discolored area. My doctor isn't concerned.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I bruise very easily but they don't usually hang around long so this one was a new one for me.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I bruise very easy, and they hand around for a long, long time. I have always been like this. I have a discolored spot on my leg from a bump 5 months ago. My doctor can't explain why I heal so slowly, but she has never seemed worried about it.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Once I broke my leg back packing the 4th of July weekend. I walked the last 1/2 mile out on it as I was so pissed off as I knew that ended my summer plans. I then rode home with it in bags of ice for 4 hours as I refused to let the minute hospital ER touch it as I knew it required surgery. I got a massive bruise that covered the whole bottom of my foot. The blue/purple/green/black color went away around Valentines day and the discoloration where it was darker than my usual skin lasted over a year.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Nah, I wouldn't worry. I had a rough fall down the stairs about 6 years ago on Valentine's day and ended up with a nasty hematoma and all summer I wondered everytime I put a bathing suit on how long it would take to go away...

I still have an indent on my leg...

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
The older that I've gotten, the longer it takes me to heal. I'm 45 and especially over the past few years, it seems like it takes forever for cuts and bruises to heal up and fade.
So I don't think 4 months is unreasonable to still see the remnants of a bad bruise (but I guess it depends on how old you are...).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts