Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just getting ready to give Moose a bath but decided to search the forum first.. glad I did. Is the consensus here not to gives labs a bath?

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Bauer is 2, and has had a few baths; but only when he gets into something really smelly.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I can honestly say none of my dogs have ever had a bath. If they get into something, then they get a spot bath. Bathing will soften the coat which is a no-no.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Sedona got her first bath at 8 weeks, the day we brought her home. Keegan got her first bath at about 9 weeks. Sedona gets maybe two baths a year. Otherwise she gets washed down if she gets muddy and that will probably be the same for Keegan. Labs really don't seem to need regular baths. I think keeping them groomed on a regular basis helps a lot.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Dozer has had two baths. The breeder gave him one before we brought him home and one a few weeks ago when he slid though an icy pile of poop and got it all over himself (head to toe). He won't have a bath otherwise.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
No baths here.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I don't give my adults baths at all, ever.

But with my litter, I bathed them the night before they went home. They didn't stink, but the wood pellets we use for the potty box can get stuck in their hair and I wanted them fresh as biscuits.

No one was harmed by their pre-new home bath.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
When it is necessary to give either a bath or spot bathe, use ONLY a shampoo specifcally formulated for dogs.

Shampoos for humans (including baby shampoos/soaps) are formulated for human skin which is MANY times more acidic than dog skin -- so its use on dogs is quite irritating to their skin.

WHEN YOU MUST SHAMPOO A DOG, USE ONLY A SHAMPOO MADE FOR DOGS.

é ñ ½ ¼ º ± ♥ ÷ ≈ ° ♂ ♀ ♪ ♫ ↑ ↓ → ← ¢ £

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
never given either of them a bath. The only bath either have ever had was Barney got a bath when he went in to get neutered. Smelled like baby powder when he came home lol. But seriously, other than that, I only spot bathe when they get into something gross. I learned that it will prevent their coat from doing its job like Labby said.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
So then... is there a way to get the coat back to how it should be? Dio's coat has been very soft since his last bath 1 month and 1/2 ago. It was roughish before that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am still going back and forth on this.... seems like some people agree with giving puppies a bath.. but only once or twice.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
why do you want to give the pup a bath? I don't see anyone agreeing it's okay to bathe a puppy. I don't see anyone agreeing it's okay to bathe an adult. I see most everyone saying, no, unless the dog has gotten into something stinky and then only spot bathe if absolutely necessary.

Bathing a Lab softens the coat which can lead to all sorts of skin problems. Do you really want to do that?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Brush it to redistribute the oils. It might take until the next shed for the coat to get back it's proper texture.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I only bathe mine rarely. If they roll in some dead animal or stinky poo...then I use an oatmeal dog shampoo. Otherwise just a spot bathif they are muddy.. When we go to the ocean I just rinse them with water after they have been in the ocean or the chlorinated pool. Molly is 7 1/2 & has had maybe 3 baths. Abby is 4 1/2 and has had two. Kate is 9 months old & has not had a bath yet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority...I tend to bathe my labs about once a month. I've never noticed the coat becoming softe. My pup has already had a bath due to having an accident in his kennel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts