Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being an older guy, I am not sure what caught my attention first. What appeared to be a really young foxred lab pup, or what appear to be a really attractive ~25 year old woman dress in a bright colored low cut, short skirt blowing in the breeze dress. Duh! At the DP.

As she approached I asked if it was a Lab pup and how old. She otold me it was a rare Red Lab and was 9 weeks old.

I then asked if she had talked with her vet yet about bringing the dog to public places, particularly dog parks before it had completely its immunization cycle, and if she was aware that Red Labs are just a shade variation of yellow and he was really a Yellow Lab.

Okay! I am older. I obviously don't knw how to talk to young attractive women. I guess I will stay with the DW a few more years.

I got my ear torn off.

'He hasn't been to the vet yet. We just got him 3 days ago. The breeder told me he didn't need with next shots until 12 weeks, so he will go then. She also told me it was important to get him out socializing with other dogs and that people would try to tell me that he was a yellow lab and that there was no such thing as a Red Lab.'

I decided to try one more time, and if it didn't work so be it.

I suggested that she make a vet appointment as soon as possible and tolk to her vet about the dog park. I told her I was only suggesting it for the benefit of the dog. It really wasn't good to expose him to what was was certainly present somewhere in the park. It could mean saving his life. Just then the dog let loose with a mushy poop right near my feet. I couldn't help but notice, but there were worms present. I tried to point them out to the lady and said that was enough of a reason to get into the vet tomorrow even if she was convinced her breeder that gave her a dog to take home with worms said otherwise. I also then suggested she check out the AKC site on Labs and colors.

She came back that she was sure the 'whatever' I think I saw would wait the three weeks until the dog had to go in for another shot.

I was done with that response but a couple others (women) that were listening jumped all over her. She got a lecture about taking care of the animal she just took responsibility for. Seeing a vet whose has been trained in animal care, and not some breeder interested in selling her a RARE RED LAB for what was probably an absurd price. Then she got the red / yellow lab lecture again and they asked her to take her dog out of the park and not come back until at least the wrom issue was resolved since they didn't want their dogs to end up with worms.

One of the ladies then came over to me and told me that I was trying to be too nice with the pretty thing with and over exposed body. I should have just told the '*****' straight up like they did. Her word.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
omg! Poor little puppy. I hope it ends up at the vets like you advised. What a silly cow.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Beauty doesn't always = brains. I thought you would have worked that out at this stage of your life. :rolleyes:

Stupid *****! :mad:

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Sorry, Ed, but you were too nice. That little wench will end up harming her puppy because she thinks she's all that and doens't need any advice. You did what you thought was right and you were trying to be nice. Some people don't get 'nice,' because they're stoopid.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Hod sad for the pup. Maybe being too judgemental here, but I would bet she got the poor puppy to call even more attention to herself. As if dressed as you describe wouldn't be attention getting enough.

I would probably have tried to be nice like you did. But I would have felt like the women did you told the b!tch off. Sadly, I really think some folks only get a dog to attract attention of the opposite sex and not for the right reasons...companionship, unconditional love, and all rest.

And the lady who told her not to come back, kudis. No one who actually cares about their pets wants them unnecessarily and knowingly exposed to some disease. That miniskirted babe really has no clue.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Poor little red head boy...I was in Petsmart the other day and a lady was walking her new GSD around. I stopped to pet him and ask how old...too young for all the shots so I told her to at least put him in a cart....looked at me like I had 3 heads so I suggested she go ask the people at the clinic. Saw her a couple minutes later dog in cart. She actually apologized and told me she got an earful from a vet who happened to be at the desk when she asked about how dangerous it was for pups that young to be in public.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Erghhh I think we should all start printing off AKC/KC Lab colours to keep in our dog walking packs for these numpties!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
The saddest part of all is once this little guy turns in too the adolescent whirlwind that most of our pups did, and the fun is over- he most likely will end up at the local rescue- the good thing is he might end up with a much better home. Poor boy- to end up with such a stupid stupid owner!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
haha!

Well, I can understand the logic of getting a puppy out to socialize them young. I have dealt with the fallout from a puppy taken too early from his litter, and then kept in a vacuum for the prescribed four months. Angus. I would not do that the same. He had some serious socialization issues...still does sometimes. Simon has helped a little.

BUT...the dog park???? No no no, NOT the best place to socialize an unvaccinated puppy! Socialization is critical, true, but she needs to find a bit more controlled environment in which to do this. Friends with healthy, well-socialized dogs would be ideal.

Well, you tried. That's all you can do.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ed, you were way too nice. Truly "stupid" people come in all shapes and sizes and to quote one of my favorite 'Blue Collar' fellows, "there just isn't a cure for stupid." That poor puppy doesn't stand a chance with her. Hopefully she gets bored soon and he is rescued by a loving person who will give a quality forever home. :mad:

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Thanks for at least trying Ed :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts