Just Labradors banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine would act starving too if only fed that amount! By the time my pups leave at 8 wks (females ranging from 10-15 lbs normally), they are usually eating ~2.25 C per day and quickly graduate to 3 over the course of the next 2 -3 wks. My 16 wk old (almost 30#) is eating closer to 4 C a day now.

Did your breeder send any recommendations home w/ you at all? Anne
You have to be careful when suggesting feeding guidelines as all foods are not created equal. If I fed my puppy 16 week old pup 4 cups a day of Orijen he would have been really really overweight. I thought all labs ate like it was their last meal?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
You have to be careful when suggesting feeding guidelines as all foods are not created equal. If I fed my puppy 16 week old pup 4 cups a day of Orijen he would have been really really overweight. I thought all labs ate like it was their last meal?
Sure you do. Exercise plays a huge roll too, but after 14 yrs of breeding, I had a puppy owner who didn't apparently understand my guidelines of going by the feel of the ribs and nearly starved one to death. I then consulted w/ a friend who has been breeding for 30 yrs, and she gave me the 1C for every month type guideline and even though my lines have gone from all field to 7/8 show, I found it works well for me too (different food too-- though I'll say I wouldn't feed a super high cal food to a baby). I still tell them to go by the feel if the pup is getting too much of a layer of fat there, then cut back. I'd hope a vet would also tell the owner if their pup is too thin or too fat too, but sometimes I wonder what some vets are thinking.

Actually I rarely have piggy acting puppies. Maybe because they are stimulated well in other areas and maybe because they never have been allowed to be truly hungry. Or maybe my lines are just weird. ;)

PS Just curious, but how many litters and pups have you raised? I'm on #9 currently, and she's 16 wks.

Anne

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sure you do. Exercise plays a huge roll too, but after 14 yrs of breeding, I had a puppy owner who didn't apparently understand my guidelines of going by the feel of the ribs and nearly starved one to death. I then consulted w/ a friend who has been breeding for 30 yrs, and she gave me the 1C for every month type guideline and even though my lines have gone from all field to 7/8 show, I found it works well for me too (different food too-- though I'll say I wouldn't feed a super high cal food to a baby). I still tell them to go by the feel if the pup is getting too much of a layer of fat there, then cut back. I'd hope a vet would also tell the owner if their pup is too thin or too fat too, but sometimes I wonder what some vets are thinking.

Actually I rarely have piggy acting puppies. Maybe because they are stimulated well in other areas and maybe because they never have been allowed to be truly hungry. Or maybe my lines are just weird. ;)

PS Just curious, but how many litters and pups have you raised? I'm on #9 currently, and she's 16 wks.

Anne
That's terrible, starving is worse than chubby IMO. No litters of Labs, but our family growing up used to breed German Shepherds and working Border Collies. I've only really started showing/trialing labs in the last 3 years. With my current lab I found I was changing feeding amounts every few days. He seemed to grow out and then up. But I'm sure if I would even now leave a big bowl of food out for him he would eat himself to death and he's probably a few pounds overweight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have a 10 week old Catahoula/German Shepherd mix puppy. When we first got her, she did the same thing at meal time. She came from a litter of 11, so that may have had something to do with it. I started using my hands as a food bowl. I would cup my hands with the food in it, sit on the floor and she would eat her entire meal that way. After a few days, she stopped seeing hands in her food being a bad thing ... because food in the hands was a good thing! She eats out of her bowl now, and I can mess with her or move her food bowl if I need to.

She eats a lot too; as much as our full grown lab. I guess puppies need more food; although I never knew that!

·
Registered
11,989 Posts
We have a 10 week old Catahoula/German Shepherd mix puppy. When we first got her, she did the same thing at meal time. She came from a litter of 11, so that may have had something to do with it. I started using my hands as a food bowl. I would cup my hands with the food in it, sit on the floor and she would eat her entire meal that way. After a few days, she stopped seeing hands in her food being a bad thing ... because food in the hands was a good thing! She eats out of her bowl now, and I can mess with her or move her food bowl if I need to.

She eats a lot too; as much as our full grown lab. I guess puppies need more food; although I never knew that!
I would LOVE to see pics of that puppy! I love a Cat puppy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

We've had our puppy (now 9 weeks old) Bender for 2 weeks now, and he constantly seems (or acts) starving when it comes time to eat. We have him on a feeding schedule of 1/2 cup 3X day, 7:00am, 12:30pm, and 6:00pm, and use puppy food as treats throughout the day for training. My question is if we are feeding him enough?

He gobbles down his food in a matter of minutes and acts like he is still starving. Just two days ago he started to growl and act aggressive while he was eating (we have been petting him and talking to him while he eats, and it WAS working fine).

This morning he knocked the bowl out of my hand (spilling the food everywhere) and then started to growl and bark at me while he was eating.

My solution was to get him to sit away (he knows sit) from the bowl and feed him 5-6 pieces of food at a time (by hand). I figured this would slow his eating down and remind him that I am in control of his food and reinforce his good behavior of sitting away from the dish and eating slowly.

Is he acting this way because he needs more food? or does he act starving?

Thanks,
Tia
HE IS HUNGRY. My 9 week old puppy gets MUCH more than that. You have to look at your own puppy and see if he is fat or skinny? How much exercise and play is he doing which makes him more hungry. Hyper active and agressive around food I personally would take as HUNGRY

21 - 26 of 26 Posts